1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Missed call on your cell...do you call it back?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Apr 27, 2010.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Scenario: You look at your cell phone and you see a missed call from a number you do not recognize.

Question: Do you call back and ask who it is and why they called you?

As for me, no I do not. It is a minor irritant when someone does it to me.

-Mike

2. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    No, if it was important they would've left a message.

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Depending on who made the call.
    If it`s something that could be relevant and I couldn`t answer, I call back. If it`s an unknown number or someone I`m trying to avoid, I don`t.

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    +1.

5. Return the call? Heck, I don't even answer calls I'm available for if it's a number I don't recognize.

6. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    same here. i get a lot of people who call, then when it goes to voicemail they hang up and call right back again. like they're going to convince me to pick up the second time. :rollno:

it's just common courtesy, leave a message if you want to hear from me.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    +1

I sometimes Google the number. If I discover that it's some telemarketing/telespam operation or something like that and I think they might call again, I save it in my contact list under the name "Dont Answer".

8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have identity advisor from AT&T since I was getting collect calls from the county jail, nobody I knew. All undentified calls are disconnected ..and I don't have to screen my own calls.........:cool:

9. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    +1

I don't pick up calls from people I do know half the time... if it's not convenient for me, I'll let it go to voicemail. If it's important... I don't care who you are, it's worth leaving a message.

11. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    +1. a few months ago i started getting daily calls from unknown numbers. i googled them. there are websites for people to list scam numbers. these were all from a dubious collection agency. they never leave a message, but call every day for a while, then stop, then start up again. supposedly, if you call back, they will never leave you alone.

some of there numbers:
    847-678-9710
    731-215-8010
    205-423-4020

12. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Wait.. what?.. you get calls?!!?

Do you people actually use voicemail?? Barely anyone I know uses it, its the ultimate scam. Pay money to call someone, leave a message, they have to pay money to check their voice mail, which takes forever as the lady on the phone reads out "1........new.......messages.......message.......1........seven....thirty..
    ..eight........6th.......april........two thousand and........10" only to get a message that says 'uhh hey its Craig, call me back', your paying buy the second of course. Not only do you waste all that money, but you have to call them back!

Wheras Call person -> No answer -> Send text costs a whole lot less, and is not as painfully annnoying as listening to the voicemail computer.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal

I dont know anyone who pays for voicemail. It usually comes free with your cell phone service.

If I have a missed call its because I didnt feel like answering, so unless they leave a message stating that its important, I dont call back.

14. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    It comes free here, but you have to pay to call it to check your messages.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    OIC. I dont ever worry about my minutes, I pay for as little as I can (400 a month) and dont ever use them all up. I get unlimited calling to all Verizon customers, so I guess a lot of people use the same service. That and I hate talking on the phone and end phone conversations as quick as possible.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Same here. The phone is the least used feature on my phone. I almost get irritated when people call me. I usually answer with..."why are you calling me?" :)

-Mike

17. SMS is actually the ultimate scam for phone companies. That is why they make it attractive to use. There is 140b of info packed into a fully loaded SMS. That equals 1,048,576 bytes in a megabyte. Some phone plans charge 20c+ for messages (usually if you go over some set amount of texts in a month, but sometimes they are charged at full rate and just chew away at your monthly cap)...

1mb of data transfer at SMS rates is going to cost you about $1500. :eyebrow:

I know that you never transfer that kind of data using SMS but they do chew away at your phone plan. When you put it into perspective, it is a crazy expensive service for something so basic.

Having said that, I hate voicemail and use SMS too. :D

Back on track, I rarely return missed calls to unknown numbers either.

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    This. Voicemail is a wonderful thing.

19. If they don't leave a message the call must have been unimportant, so why bother returning the call?

20. If they leave a message I will call them back, if they don't, I figure that it wasn't important.

lowsound