1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Missing High Mids?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowDownWays, May 31, 2011.

1. I have a question for you cab / freq experts. It's frequently stated here that most cabs with tweeters have a hole where the speaker gives up and the tweeter comes in. How does a cab like the Berg NV 610 overcome this problem? It's rated up to 5K. Aren't most tweeters crossed over at 3 or 3.5?

I'm asking of course because I'm liking that Berg.

Thanks

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think most tweeters are crossed over at 5KHz.

The Berg gets plenty of sparkle because it's magical.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Most tweeters are crossed over between 3.5kHz and 5kHz. No ten has useful off-axis response above 2.5kHz, so there's always a hole in the upper mids. The Berg may extend to the claimed 4.5kHz, but not flat by any means, and only directly on-axis.

4. Michiellll

Michiellll

May 26, 2011
    I don't know about bass cabs but normally it would be around 1.5k
    Unless you're talking about home/hifi it could be anywhere from 1 to 5k.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just because a cab may be lacking in certain frequencies doesn't mean you won't take a liking to that sound it produces. That's part of the charm of cabs that aren't relatively flat. They have more of their own inherent tone you either love or hate.

The Berg may very well have a dip in the frequency range that you'd typically dial out via EQ anyway.

Enjoy.