1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Missing lacquer on Modulus Quantum 5 graphite neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gilly_89, Aug 27, 2014.

1. gilly_89

gilly_89

Aug 4, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 2001 Modulus Quantum 5. The graphite neck has a couple chips in the lacquer - Is this something that can be filled or repaired? Thanks!

EDIT: I meant to type lacquer, not laminate.

Attached Files:

• $_58.JPG
      $_58.JPG
      File size:
      129.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    That's clearcoat that's chipping, not carbon fiber. Just a cosmetic issue. If you want it repaired properly it requires removing the old clearcoat and respray.

3. Hi.

What MPU said.

Almost looks like someone has tried to re-fin the neck but has used non compatible epoxies or skipped the prepping.

Regards
    Sam

4. gilly_89

gilly_89

Aug 4, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Oops yeah I meant to say lacquer. Thanks for the advice!

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    That can be repaired by drop filling with CA glue. It is much less expensive than stripping and shooting the neck. It is invisible when done correctly.

6. gyancey

gyancey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Also it's not lacquer, likely polyester. Super-thin superglue can be wicked in at the edges of the chips to discourage further chipping. The white-ish areas at the edge of the chips are no longer adhered to the substrate.