1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

missing one neck screw

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bayonet, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Bayonet

Bayonet

May 10, 2011
    hey i recently bought a bass(ibanez sr500) used and its in pretty damn good condition except for this,its missing one of the neck screws.is this a problem? can it wait to be repaired?

2. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    Yes and yes.
    It can be a problem if the bass is subject to a lot of temperature and humidity changes. Wood, being what it is, reacts to temperature and humidity, pretty quickly.
    Getting a replacement screw shouldn't be that tough, just remember to match the finish, head, diameter, length, and thread pitch to the remaining screws.

3. Bayonet

Bayonet

May 10, 2011
    Hmm thanks man,i'm going to get it to the repair shop when they call to tell me about my fretless,should be in less than a week i guess. meanwhile should i just keep it outside of my room that has an air conditioner?
    also,what could happen because of the missing screw?

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've been playing a bass that's missing a neck screw for about 15 years. So far so good.

There are many basses that only ever had 3 neck screws.

5. frankieC

Jul 21, 2012
    Very true, but they are usually set up in a triangular pattern as to allow even pressure or torque. This allows the neck to be seated evenly in the saddle.

There are also bolt on basses that have 6 screws, lol.

6. frankieC

Jul 21, 2012
    Actually, I would keep it in the a/c. Remember a/c not only cools the air, it also reduces humidity.

The neck could experience uneven pressure in the body saddle, and/or, as Mongo 2 mentioned in his post, he's experienced no issues. The other side of the coin is that he neck could start to move unevenly. Guitar necks do move with climate changes.

7. Bayonet

Bayonet

May 10, 2011
    Hmm i think i understand,well i live in recife(notheast of brazil) and here its pretty humid all year and pretty hot,but i don't use the ac all day long,i use it about 12-14 hours a day.do you think this change is enough to mess my bass?
    also,would it make a difference if i keep it in the gig bag whenever i'm not using it?

8. frankieC

Jul 21, 2012
    No, but over a long time you might see a or feel a difference.

It might help, a little, but Personally, I would keep it in the gig bag when not in use, anyway. Less of a chance of "accident".

I do recommend you get the screw replaced. Especially in the high humidity of your area. You should be able to get the screw from a good hardware. Be careful, and make sure you bring one of the existing screws with you. getting the right size, head, and length is important.

You can also try various music stores that service electric bases. You might even be able to get some help, and possibly even a set of screws from Ibanez.

I've even seen neck screws sold on eBay. lol

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    There's no uneveness in the seating of my 3 screw.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Doesn't sound like anything a decent "tech" would do to me - I'm just sayin'...

I would get a replacement neck screw ASAP, if I were you, OP - the manufacturer used all of them for a reason...

- georgestrings

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    LOL, I was wondering if you'd make one of your usual snarky comments. You're predictable, I'll give you that.

Since I know you're just dying to know...I got the bass that way and I'm still waiting for the right vintage neck screw to cross my path. In the meantime it's not hurting anything.

However, you haven't asked me the right question yet.

12. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Shouldn't be a prob short term. I would make sure that the neck end of the pocket has two screws. That's where the majority of the string pressure is applied in trying to pull the neck up.

mech

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Exactly.

14. frankieC

Jul 21, 2012
    Cool. :D

15. Bayonet

Bayonet

May 10, 2011
    i don't understand what you mean :( i guess its because i'm not a native speaker

my bass looks like this:
    Headstock
    Neck
    O *
    Rest of the bass

O Missing screw
    * Screws

lol,i hope you understand what i mean,i'm terrible at this!

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I know what you're getting at, but a better question is how could someone who considers themselves a competant and knowledgeable tech play a bass for 15 years without installing a suitable substitute while waiting for a "vintage" screw???

- georgestrings

17. I disagree, if I had a missing screw I'd want it nearest to the bridge and keep two screws nearer towards the headstock.

18. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Perfect! Great picture. The heel of the neck is pressed down into the neck pocket by the pressure of the strings pulling up at the peghead.

mech

19. I would keep it this way until you get a proper screw.

20. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    For a 4 string bass I wouldn't worry too much. But anything with 5+ I'd be concerned. There's plenty of 4 string basses with only 3 neck joint screws by design.