Missing Screw

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SapperDaddy87, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SapperDaddy87

SapperDaddy87

Feb 6, 2018
    I finally got my hands on my bass after a rather lengthy period of time. The first thing I did was to look it over. Lo and behold, the screw and spring for the E-string saddle are missing. I have no idea what to do now. If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Ibanez GSR200

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    This happened to me with my old Fender Precision- didn’t even know the screw & spring were missing til I went to change the strings one day and the saddle just fell on the floor.
    Pretty sure any standard sized bridge saddle screw would do the trick as a drop in replacement- readily available online or at a local music store (probably even in the classifieds here.)
    If you’re feeling fancy, now’s the time to upgrade to that high mass bridge you’ve always dreamed of!

3. SapperDaddy87

SapperDaddy87

Feb 6, 2018
    haha I always feel fancy, but I don't think I am going to start upgrading an instrument that I am still very much a beginner at playing, not to mention I haven't played even semi-regularly in about 18 months or more.

Thanks for your quick reply.

cataract likes this.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Fastest fix. Take another screw and spring off and go to the music store repair department. Ask if they have spare parts that may match in their junk box in the shop. If not, try Ace hardware. If not, order new ones from any of the online guitar part suppliers. Springs won’t be so easy to find at Ace, but common at online suppliers.

Tip: they’re metric screws probably M4 size.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. SapperDaddy87

SapperDaddy87

Feb 6, 2018
    I will have to take that idea of going to the shop and having them check their junk box and run with it. Thank you so much!!

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It's funny but I was just at a Sears store in Easton, Pa. In the back corner, they have a hardware section with drawers containing multiple springs. I looked at some and thought they'd be perfect for intonation springs.
    TLDR; Try Sears.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I recently worked on an Ibenez Jet King and the saddle screws (intonation screws) were M3.