Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Missy's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DalmerM, Nov 10, 2002.

1. DalmerM

DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    I saw her last night on PBS and she did some awesome bass playing. Just her and another guy on guitar who was equally talented. I loved the tone she was getting out of her bass and microphone set up on stage. It was a real dark looking double bass. Anyone know what brand of bass she uses?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Who's Missy?

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Gotta be Missy Raines. She takes bluegrass bass playing WAY beyond Root-5...

4. Take that, Mr. New York Hip. Oh, wait, that's Ed. Now wait a minute, he's from Georgia. That's where the big pick-up line is "Nice tooth." No, wait, that's Kentucky. Darn. I'm all mixed up.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    [digression mode on]

I read somewhere the compelling argument that the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas. Had it been created anywhere else it would have been called a 'teethbrush'.

:)

[digression mode off]

6. DalmerM

DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    Sorry, It was Missy Raines I was refering to watching on TV. When I cut and pasted I should have read what I wrote closer. This was the first time I have ever seen or heard her play. I had heard of her, but had no idea she was so good.

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I saw her last year at a bluegrass convention in Kentucky. She was backing up Mark Schatz's project. (He was doing all kinds of things, including a mean ham-bone.) She really gets all over the instrument. I didn't get to check out her setup though.... sorry!

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    JEFFREYDALMER,

Speaking of cut and paste, this morning I counted four (count 'em, FOUR!) new MISSY threads on the board. I'm not going to mess with the ones you posted in the interest of time, but next time, please just make one big thread and make a small compromise when deciding which forum it belongs in. This board is so small that if anybody out there knows the answers you seek, they'll find your thread no matter which forum you post it in. FWIW.

Peace,

DURRL

9. DalmerM

DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    I thought since you had seperate sections for Strings, Mics, Instruments and Artists that it would be correct to post in each one for questions relating to that subject, even though it was all concerning the same artist. Kind of a Catch 22 ain't it? Danged if you do, danged if you don't?

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, kind of. It's not a big deal, it just seemed kind of odd to find four "Missy" threads pop up on the same day. Does she have a website? Last time I posted about a bassist here, I asked a bunch of questions and it turns out most of the info was on his site, and what wasn't he answered within two days in a personal email. Give me a second, and I'll see what I can find.

Ah, sweet Google. Here's a link to her homepage:

http://missyraines.home.mindspring.com/

and here's the link to the google search that got me there:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=missy+raines&btnG=Google+Search

I didn't spend much time at her site to see if she lists her gear anywhere, but she does provide links to D'Addario strings and Fishman pickup site, which is suggestive. Happy hunting.

11. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks Chris. Took a quick look and found her new duo cd is out. The check is in the mail.
    She probably uses the blender....

12. DalmerM

DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    Many thanks for the web site information. I'll check them out.