Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Missy's Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by DalmerM, Nov 10, 2002.

1. DalmerM

DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    I saw Missy Raines last night on PBS and she did some awesome bass playing. Just her and another guy on guitar who was equally talented. I loved the tone she was getting out of her bass and microphone set up on stage. Does anyone know what kind of strings she uses? By the way her strings flexes, I thought they must be gut or synthetic. Of course, she may just have powerful fingers? However the strings seemed to shine like they were steel wound strings, but it was really hard to tell on TV. But her, bass, strings and mic really sounded good to me.

2. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    you're really hip on this missy character, huh?

a lot of synthetic core strings will have metal windings, e.g. innovation, obligato, dominant, etc. did you get a look at the color/pattern of the silk on the tailpiece end of the strings?

sean p

3. DalmerM

DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    It's just not often I see a really good double bass player taking a lot of solos on TV or in person. I though others might be interested. As far as the strings go, it was hard to pick up on the color of the windings on my TV. I only got to watch her play about 4 songs, but my best guess would be black.

4. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Missy Raines is fantastic! She has been winning the IBMA best bluegrass bass category for the last couple years.
    She has been touring with Jim Hurst. Both used to play in Claire Lynch and the Front Porch String Band.
    I got to meet them at the Durango Bluegrass Meltdown (Colorado) last spring. She and Jim showed up at a show that my band played Sunday night after the festival finished.

She has great technique. Even more amazing considering how petite she is.

Me thinks she uses D'Addario... there is a link on her website.

5. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I just got an e-mail from Missy. She uses both D'Addario Helicore (heavy) and Thomastik Spiracore. Not sure if it is a mixed set. I'll see if I can get any more information.

Touch

6. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Ed,
    thanks for an answer before the question was asked. Between the job, kids, and gigs, i don't have many opportunities to see other players. I wanted some names of artists to listen to. Any in my area?

7. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Albums - so i can turn them into CDs. Doh! Should have thought of UNT myself. My Alma Matar, Al mamatar, almamater - my old university.

thanks

8. Hey, Ed -
    Do you know Jon Hebert? Very nice young man. I replaced him in the Eddie Hazell trio when he left for the Dorsey band. He's since done great things with Renee Rosnes, among others. He went through Wm Paterson U. when Rufus and Todd Coolman were there.