Mistake with this forum in searching for a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Y'know, I never got far enough down to the end of this forum list to discover there was a classified section there! (And no one bothered to mention it to me either...) Here I've been looking all over for a dbl bass to learn on, and there's some for sale right here!
    Oh well. :meh:
    But right now I'm back into upgrading some of my BG gear, so getting a DBL will I guess have to wait a bit longer. But at least I've discovered where to find a decent DBL classified anyway!
    (Improvement comes in small steps with me... :D )

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    (Improvement comes in small steps with me... )

matches the attention span no doubt. Even in accessing ANY online classified section, the information gleaned from the recent exhange in your other thread has put you in a MUCH better position to assess any deal you are going to find on-line. Except of course that you seem to be foolishly clinging to finding a bass that you can't play instead of going to a place (or several places) where you can put your hand on a variety of instruments in a variety of price ranges.

Look, it's totally up to you to spend your money on whatever you want. But if upgrading your electric gear is more of a priority, what is it about DB that you really want? I mean, I got one because of the confluence of me JUST HAVING TO HAVE ONE and there being a good bass available in my price range. But since I HAD TO HAVE ONE, I was looking around, had my feelers out (and this was in Augusta GA which, at the time, had zero basses around). If you don't have that overpowering desire, what's driving this DB acquisition syndrome?
  3. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Well, first off, I'm wondering where you got the assumption that I "seem to be foolishly clinging to a bass I can't play..." It would be interesting for me to see what remarks of mine led you to this fatuous conclusion?
    And then as far as 'an over powering desire" to HAVE TO HAVE ONE...", the last time I let that much instant gratification overwhelm me I got drunk and married my first wife! ('Nuff said about that...!)

Yes, I want to own and play a DB. The thought of all that big beautiful wood vibrating such deep beautiful sounds under my hands is tantalizing, to say the least!
    And yes, I have learned quite a lot from the cats on this DB section as far as obtaining a DB goes, and I am really grateful for that. But they (the DB's) ain't going nowhere either...
    And being around the block a few many years, I allow myself to set (and have) my own priorities, regardless of what others may wish that I might instead be like. It's really not your life, so why my priorities and desires are that important to you that you should become so indignant over them, baffles me...?
    (And really, you don't have to defend DB's Ed. They're big enough to stand up for themselves!) :)
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

Oooo, now, don't read stuff that ain't there. Questions sometimes are just questions. You went through a giant posting frenzy of late to find out all about a $600 meiselor christopherorenglehardt only to upgrade your electric stuff. So I was just curious, so I just asked. I can't stop you from inferring value judgements, but can only be responsible for what I type.

The quote was "seem to be foolishly clinging to finding a bass that you can't play" not "foolishly clinging to a bass...". Again, the advice you overwhelmingly got in the other thread was that playing actual basses was going to be of more value than typing about basses available on-line. And yet here you are, happy to find another on-line source. Really, it's a great service that Paul offers. But I imagine that most folks contemplating a purchase would give their eye teeth to be in your (geographical) position - a hop/skip/jump away from what, 6 world class bass shoppes/luthiers. No skin off my nose if you do end up doing anything you want to do. What it might affect is my (or even Peter Dalla's) willingness to offer lengthy responses in anwser to your queries for advice if you seem to not pay attention to any of it.

"defending DBs" - I honestly have no clue as to what you are talking about. I was unaware that DBs were under some kind of attack.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Oh, things have really changed, Jays now has ONE (on consignment).
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999

Hey Turock. I'll PM you when we're gonna head down, but it'll be sometime after Tourist A**hole Week. I don't know if I'll be gigging, but I'll prolly stop by D.Timms for some ihngesitzen.
    Let's get a beer.

Oh ps - check out the LUTHIER SET UP IN GEORGIA thread, apparently there's a bunch of cats working on basses now.