mistakes in a performance?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 24, 2003.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    how many mistakes do you think a band like, The Red Hot Chili's, Led Zeppelin or The Who make in a live gig? I mean bands that have really immense bass players, do you think that they would make many mistakes in a performance?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Immense"? Flea's kind of small.
  3. RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well in the case of Zeppelin, they did alot of improv in their early years when playing live, so you could pick out a few little things that they missed.

Of the bigger venue concerts I have been to lately, the musicians rarely seemed to mess up at all in their playing. What I have seen a couple of times is someone forgetting the words of one of their songs, that is usually pretty funny.
  4. re. RHCP, John Frusciante's been known to make pretty bad mistakes live- eg. when they played "scar tissue" on TOTP. maybe that's down to his addiction problems.

also I've got footage of them playing at Reading in 1994 when they had Dave Navarro on guitar, and he messes up the chords in the chorus of "nobody weird like me".
    flea's timing is also off at one point of "backwoods".
  5. Every band makes the odd mistake. Recent examples: Rush (yes Rush) screwed up a couple of times when I saw them in October in Montreal. Nothing serious, mind you, and the band laughed it off and kept going (which is what you should do;)). Peter Gabriel screwed up the words to Solsbury Hill at his Montreal show.....
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What counts as a mistake? Most bands won't play what they did on the album note for note - often that would be impossible anyway.

And what does it mean to 'play a song right'? That's a pretty fuzzy concept. All the while the band is producing music people want to listen to, it's all good - I would imagine that most bands concentrate on making music rather than not making mistakes.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with that last part - I mean the set must be pretty boring if people are just looking out for mistakes !!

So - when I went to see Led Zeppelin in 1974 I was just so excited and energised by the music coming out - it wouldn't have mattered what they actually played.

I think people have got so used to listening to recorded music these days, that they approach concerts in the same way.

That's one of the reasons probably why I only go to Jazz gigs nowadays, where each peformance is different and can change depending on what the players feel like.

I think I eventually got bored with big "event" gigs where all the audience around you were singing the words and you could hear more of them than the band - who were 100 yards away if you were lucky!!

I can imagine then that if a gig is boring and exactly the same as the other 300 they played on the tour - then looking out for mistakes is probably the only relief you get!! ;)
  8. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I think most of the stadium touring bands play the exact same show every night, so there are probably not that many mistakes. They know the show inside and out and there is little to no variation from the set list.

OTOH, I have seen bands like Grateful Dead and Phish make bad mistakes in their shows. But they change their show every night and when you do that there is a much greater chance for mistakes. The audience at those shows tends to be more attentive and also more forgiving, due to the nature of the performance.
  9. I recently caught Bon Jovi(slam me if you will but it made the wife happy..and the "scenery" was quite nice). Richie Sambora flubbed coming out a solo..was definaley the wrong chord, he caught it quick though.. John f'd up the words on one too, come to think of it so did the GooGoo dolls in the opener, in fact the singer made a joke said something like, I'll try and get this one right...
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    EVERY band will make some mistakes. Every single concert I have ever been to has featured a few.

IMHO any band can make a good record with the funds and producers of a label backing them, but a live performance tells you a lot about whether they can actually play their instruments or not. Everyone makes mistakes - EVERYONE - but if a band is very loose and sloppy live, that tells you all you need to know.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Everyone flubs a note or 2 durring a gig. Even the very best of them. What makes them professional (in part) is not making the mistake, but how they can conceal it so you dont or hardly notice it. Just IMO.
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Everyone makes mistakes! It's only human and totally acceptable - in fact I would much rather see a band that has a party on the stage and makes few mistakes because of it, than a band that focuses solely on their playing.

This reminds me about the three worst things you can do on stage:

1) Stopping in the middle of the song. Totally NOT acceptable, even if you screw up how bad, nor for ANY reason. At my first gig, there were PA cabs falling over and coming crashing down on the stage, we didn't even think about stopping as long as there was some sound left. Well ok, if someone has a heart attack and you can do first aid, then perhaps you can go help.

2) Starting the song again. Soo amateurish. Even worse than stopping in the middle!

3) Apologizing mistakes - perhaps one twentieth of the audience can even notice them! Don't EVER mention any mistakes, EVER! If someone comments, tell them it's a new kind of arrangement with jazz influence ;)

Remember that the audience is there to see wild energetic rockstars and not a pathetic bunch of sorry whiners. Well, at least if it's not Emo-night at the club :p
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego