Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mister Mister- take these broken wings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 16, 2003.

1. :D

80's FM cheese-rock, but I like this bassline.
    I've always wondered about the bass sound, it could be a synth (there are some suspiciously low sounding notes), but it could be a pick + mute tone (there are subtle tone changes that suggest switching between strings).

when TOTP2 showed a rerun of their appearance miming the song the singer/bassist was playing fingerstyle on a Yamaha BB3000 4string....

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I liked Mr. Mister; I think I have all 3 of their albums.

Richard Page(bass player) & Richard George(keys) were mainly songwriters/sessioneers who, I guess, wanted to do their own band. Page/George may have been in a previous group called The Front Page? I'll have to refesh myself on that.

Anyway-
    "Broken Wings" to me sounds "synthesized"; it definetly dips into the "B"-string range, doesn't it?(I recall seeing Page playing a white Yamaha 5-string in some later videos...what was he playing in this vid, a 4-string black one?).

Check out Al Jarreau's "Morning" album for some Page/George tunes...also, "Who's Right, Who's Wrong" from Kenny Loggins' Keep The Fire(w/ Michael Jackson on backing vocals!). ;)

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry, don't know about the bass. Pat Mastellotto is a monster on the drums though!

brad cook

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...who's Mastellotto gigging with now?
    IIRC, even the drum sounds on those Mr. Mister albums sounded a little too processed.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He plays with King Crimson now. I know that's hard to believe (seeing as they are seemingly the polar opposite of Mr. Mister) but he's really doing some fantastic drumming with them. When he tried out for Crimson he refused to tell them that he had previously played for Mr. Mister. If you want to hear some of his current drumming then check out the song "Happy With What You Have to be Happy With" available for listening at:

http://www.king-crimson.com/thepowertobelieve/index.html

Mastelotto also recently recorded a duet album with Terry Bozzio. They put on a concert and clinic together recently in Austin. I saw KC in '95 too when Bill Bruford and Mastelotto were both drumming with them and he was really something to behold live. He slams the skins like there's no tomorrow.

brad cook