Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Misty

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Yvon, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I will record the Errol Garner song Misty for my wife. She like it....
    I will do it in my home studio (if we can call that a studio). I plan to play the melody and a bass line. Over sequenced drum. I will ask a friend to come here and record some piano over it. I may take the first solo and he could play the second one.

My problem is:
    I need to play i high F in the melody, I have only four string basses. My precision stop at Eb my jazz fretless stop at Eb and my sadowsky stop at E. So i will play the melody on the Sadowsky, but I need to bend the E so i have the F.
    It sound like ****. I can't make it sound good.
    Any idea?
    Nobody have a 7 string to sell for 500$?
    Brad??
    my friend???
    ;)

Yvon

2. Why don't you either change the key or tune your bass a half step higher?

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Why I did not think about that myself?!?!?!:confused:

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The simplest solution almost never is the most obvious! :)

5. False harmonic, it sounds great.

Bonne et heureuse année.

6. Misty can be played on a four string bass, chords, and melody in the key of Eb. Look up Mike Dimin on this forum. It does work better on a 7 string.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    OR ---

Restring your 4 ADGC, just for the recording session!

All you'll need is a high C string. If you can't find one, you might also be able to fing a 5-string set EADGC, just leave off the E. If you can't find an EADGC set (they are rare), you should be able to find a 6-string BEADGC set for sure.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sure, you can have the Surine for $499, yvon. I'll pick up the shipping costs. Anything for a friend. As soon as the check clears it'll be in the ma...\#$%^@

Ooops, my medication just kicked in. Nevermind:D

The advice to either transpose, retune or play a false harmonic is very sound. A fourth option is, send me the tracks and I'll overdub the F;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would go with the false harmonic advice - check out Christian McBride playing the head to "Walking on the Moon" using artificial harmonics on his 4 string electric on the album "SciFi".