Misty

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Yvon, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I will record the Errol Garner song Misty for my wife. She like it....
    I will do it in my home studio (if we can call that a studio). I plan to play the melody and a bass line. Over sequenced drum. I will ask a friend to come here and record some piano over it. I may take the first solo and he could play the second one.

My problem is:
    I need to play i high F in the melody, I have only four string basses. My precision stop at Eb my jazz fretless stop at Eb and my sadowsky stop at E. So i will play the melody on the Sadowsky, but I need to bend the E so i have the F.
    It sound like ****. I can't make it sound good.
    Any idea?
    Nobody have a 7 string to sell for 500$?
    Brad??
    my friend???
    ;)

Yvon

2. Why don't you either change the key or tune your bass a half step higher?

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Why I did not think about that myself?!?!?!:confused:

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The simplest solution almost never is the most obvious! :)

5. False harmonic, it sounds great.

Bonne et heureuse année.

6. Misty can be played on a four string bass, chords, and melody in the key of Eb. Look up Mike Dimin on this forum. It does work better on a 7 string.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    OR ---

Restring your 4 ADGC, just for the recording session!

All you'll need is a high C string. If you can't find one, you might also be able to fing a 5-string set EADGC, just leave off the E. If you can't find an EADGC set (they are rare), you should be able to find a 6-string BEADGC set for sure.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sure, you can have the Surine for $499, yvon. I'll pick up the shipping costs. Anything for a friend. As soon as the check clears it'll be in the ma...\#$%^@

Ooops, my medication just kicked in. Nevermind:D

The advice to either transpose, retune or play a false harmonic is very sound. A fourth option is, send me the tracks and I'll overdub the F;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would go with the false harmonic advice - check out Christian McBride playing the head to "Walking on the Moon" using artificial harmonics on his 4 string electric on the album "SciFi".