Mitchell bass cabinets question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevin Scholl, May 31, 2018.

1. Kevin Scholl

Kevin Scholl

May 23, 2018
    I have to old Mitchell ported cabinets each with a 15 inch speakers in them. They are stamped with the serial numbers 9 and 10, does anyone know approximately what year these were built I'm assuming late sixties early seventies, but I can't find any other information... please help.

Thanks, Kevin

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Sorry Kevin but I, for one, can’t say that I’ve ever heard of them. You haven’t fill out your profile so maybe they were only marketed in your neck of the woods.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Yes, more information would help. General location and some pics, please.

4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Mid '70’s to mid '80s, I understand. Tom Mitchell. Made in Riverside, California. Some had compartments filled with sand to add weight.

5. Kevin Scholl

Kevin Scholl

May 23, 2018
    Thanks For the reply, there made here in Southern California and Mitchell is an old school brand that's about all I know.

Peace

6. Kevin Scholl

Kevin Scholl

May 23, 2018

7. Kevin Scholl

Kevin Scholl

May 23, 2018
    Thank you for your Reply, I am aware earlier in riverside it shows on the tag where the serial number is, mine are not filled with sand though their heavy wood, I'm hoping to find someone that knows about when they were made. Again thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

8. Kevin Scholl

Kevin Scholl

May 23, 2018
    It appears I didn't read your reply correctly, you said The seventies to the mid eighties and I bought them in 86, 87 probably.... Thank you so much

9. Kevin Scholl

Kevin Scholl

May 23, 2018

Thanks man.... Happy Thursday

10. Holy misunderstood engineering why add weight? SAND?? That sounds daft.

11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Typical practice for snobbish hifi stereo speakers, not advisable for PA or MI speakers.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It is daft IMO ;)

13. Is it just to lower the center of gravity so they don’t tip over? I could see in a tower configuration, with the woofer higher up in the tower... maybe...

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Some HiFi corksniffers equate such excess weight to solid bottom end. In practice, there's no reliable indicator that this is anything but voodoo snake oil sauce.

(disclaimer, this is assuming a solid, properly built cabinet).

HolmeBass likes this.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

When I got my first bass I played it though the tape input of my father’s Leak HI FI system. The speaker was Wharfdale SFB3. The SFB indicated it had a sand filled baffle. The 3: a 10”, a 12 and an upward firing tweeter. It sounded very good to my young ears. :)

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I grew up south of the small city of Ogden, Utah. When I started playing in bar bands in the early 80's, I played with two different Ogden guitarists who played through Mitchell half stacks. I still keep in touch with one of them, and he's a huge gearhead. If you'd like, I can ask him for info about Mitchell amps.

Stumbo likes this.
  17. I've got an old Mitchell reverse load 1 15 cab I bought for 100 dollars around 20 years ago.

Weighs a ton. I was told when I bought it it was loaded with a 400 watt Gauss 15. I've never found any info on a sub model online in ten years.

Will try to get some pix up soon.

StereoPlayer and S-Bigbottom like this.
  18. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    Never owned one, but they were pretty common in SF Bay area early eighties - monitors & bass cabs. The ones I used to play through at Keystone Berkeley ( somebody's back line, ) were solidly built.

19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Wow, the Stone in SF and the Keystones... wonder if the Coronas are still around. It's been probably 25 years since I worked with them.

20. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I hadn’t thought of these cabs in awhile. I seem to recall them using a script logo that was (somewhat intentionally) very similar to Marshall.