Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mitre Saw for Scarf Joint?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cerb, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I was just looking through some of my fathers tools to see if he had anything interesting. I found a Ryobi 10" mitre saw buried under some things. I pulled it out, fooled around with it for a while, and got to thinking about cutting scarf joints with the thing. The only problem is that it won't adjust to a loose enough angle. I believe it only went to 45 degrees.

I searched around Google a bit and found nothing. Does anyone make a mitre saw that will cut at the angle needed for a headstock?

And, yes, I know that a table saw can do the exact same thing with a jig, but this is more of a 'if I can find [a used] one cheap, I might as well' scenario.

2. Nope, you've seen the limits of even compound mitre saws. The only way to get the angle is to build some sort of jig to hold the piece vertical (like in a jointer) with the board length parallel to the blade and perpendicular to the tray. This would put it at the only orientation where a 10 - 15º acute angle could be cut into the end of the board. Pretty dicey but doable. That would involve one of my favorite situations - using the tool to make the tool.

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Well darn. Oh well, I suppose it is time to do some experimenting. :D

P.S. Acute was the word I was looking for. It's been less than a month into summer and I'm already loosing it -_-.