Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mix 10s in one cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ldervish, Feb 13, 2006.

1. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    I have read most of the FAQ threads re: building your own cab, but had a thought that wasn't covered, at least I didn't find it.

I have two different 10" speakers that I am thinking about putting into one cab. I am using the WINISD program to help with box size and tuning. I have not actually decided to do this yet, because what I have to work with could make it a big problem. Just playing with it to see if I COULD. :meh:

My questions: when plotting the response curves for each driver, should I use HALF the actual box volume?
    Reason for this question, if I run plots for a box with two identical drivers, it will have the same curve as one driver in a box with half that volume, except the 2x has a higher SPL.

Second, how would I balance SPL so that the louder driver doesn't drown out the other one - maybe a pot to reduce voltage to the louder one? How would I calc the correct max resistance needed? :help:

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Jorge does it, so i guess you can too. however, i am betting there will be some weird vibrations at the wrong time.

i'll be lurking for an informed response!

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've never done what your talking about so take this with a grain of salt:

I wouldn't mix airspace with them. Build one big box, but seal off the individual chambers. Put the louder driver into a sealed chamber and then port the chamber of the softer one.

4. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    Hadn't thought of that, but separate chambers would certainly make the design work easier. I'm just trying to use accumulated drivers and end up with more than the sum of the parts, if you know what I mean...

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Definitely separate the chambers. Divide and conquer, as they say. Otherwise you have no hope of modeling the combined system, short of digging down into the physics.

Next, design a box for each driver separately, and judge each on its merits. If you find that one of the designs has considerably lower sensitivity than the other, then it won't contribute appreciably to the mix when the drivers are used together. The only thing you could do with a passive circuit would be to waste power trying to balance the two speakers, and you might get the same amount of acoustical power by simply using the more efficient speaker by itself.

6. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    Good point, fdeck. The SPL specs are 8db apart, and the response curves stretch that even more in the low freqs, which I could only hope to make up by wiring individually and bi-amping. Not really inclined to do that, so I think I'll just work with the nicest curve/best speaker and have one good one. File this as Another Good Idea That Didn't Work. Thanks for the input.

7. Same-type drivers can share an acoustical volume. Unlike drivers cannot.

Do this by chambering the cab into sub-cabs. For example, two BP102 in one chamber, and two B102 (whizzer) in the other chamber. You cannot mix dissimilar drivers, such as the two above, in the same acoustical space.