Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mix and Match Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xax712, Aug 27, 2002.

1. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ok I wanna try to do this and was wondering if it was possible? Ok I wanna try to get a junked out but good looking guitar to start, put a graphite neck on it, swap out the pick ups and probably the hardware to along with the pick guard to customize it. Is this possible and is it a good idea.
    thanks,
    Brad

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Yes, it is possible, but IMO, it isn't a good idea. IMO, if you want to customize something that much, it is a better to buy everything in parts. So i'd just get the body, neck plate, screws, etc. from warmoth, and you'll probably have a much higher quality bass. The problem is, that you have to buy everything at once, and it may be slightly more expensive, but it could be cheaper (depends on what junked out bass you are talking about.) Beefed up basses are not too difficult to find, too. You might get lucky and find what you want as a whole, put together, and a ton cheaper than what you would pay for.

3. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Warmoth?????

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Warmoth makes excellent stuff. Your original plan is sound, it just depends on the bass. TONS of people upgrade their Mexcian Jazz basses, myself included, because they are relatively cheap, especially used, they are pretty good to start with, and there are a wealth of aftermarket parts available. I've said it before, MIM Jazzes are the Honda Civics of bass-dom.

Good luck. :)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

www.warmoth.com

Knock yourself out.:cool: