"mix and match" cabs into a stereo poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 10, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a stewart PR 1000 being shipped to me.

Its basic specs are:

FTC Power Rating
    <0.1% THD
    20Hz-20kHz
    both channels driven 200W x 2 @ 8 Ohms
    350W x 2 @ 4 Ohms

I plan to use one channel to drive one 4ohm schroeder mini 12+ which would give me 350w. I want to get an even smaller cab just for practice, say a ampeg pb1-12 or gk mbx1-12. The gk is 8 ohms.But I would like to be able to use it with the power amp when i need more wattage and speaker surface area.

my concerns are:

-the cabs are different ohms (4 and 8)
    -the gk is only 100w while the mini 12 is 500. I assume i could adjust the volume of each individual channel to compensate for the cabs wattage and/or spl specs
    - will it even make a difference to add the extra 1-12 if its rated for much lower watts or has a much lower spl rating ?(the ampeg is rated at 93db spl, but I think its 500w)

Basically I just want to know if i can "mix and match" cabs which are completely different beasts using a stereo power amp with each cab assigned to its own channel.

This is may be sort of a stupid question, but I just to make sure I dont fry anything or to see if its a viable idea at all. :ninja:

2. You can put a 4ohm cab on one channel and an 8ohm cab on the other channel, no problem. How much difference adding the 1x12 would make I couldn't say, but there's no harm in trying.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes you can do it. the poweramps on a "stereo" unit are completly independent unless you bridge them.

The 100 watt cab may or may not make a difference, depending upon how loud you're playing.