Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"mix and match" cabs into a stereo poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 10, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a stewart PR 1000 being shipped to me.

Its basic specs are:

FTC Power Rating
    <0.1% THD
    20Hz-20kHz
    both channels driven 200W x 2 @ 8 Ohms
    350W x 2 @ 4 Ohms

I plan to use one channel to drive one 4ohm schroeder mini 12+ which would give me 350w. I want to get an even smaller cab just for practice, say a ampeg pb1-12 or gk mbx1-12. The gk is 8 ohms.But I would like to be able to use it with the power amp when i need more wattage and speaker surface area.

my concerns are:

-the cabs are different ohms (4 and 8)
    -the gk is only 100w while the mini 12 is 500. I assume i could adjust the volume of each individual channel to compensate for the cabs wattage and/or spl specs
    - will it even make a difference to add the extra 1-12 if its rated for much lower watts or has a much lower spl rating ?(the ampeg is rated at 93db spl, but I think its 500w)

Basically I just want to know if i can "mix and match" cabs which are completely different beasts using a stereo power amp with each cab assigned to its own channel.

This is may be sort of a stupid question, but I just to make sure I dont fry anything or to see if its a viable idea at all. :ninja:

2. You can put a 4ohm cab on one channel and an 8ohm cab on the other channel, no problem. How much difference adding the 1x12 would make I couldn't say, but there's no harm in trying.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes you can do it. the poweramps on a "stereo" unit are completly independent unless you bridge them.

The 100 watt cab may or may not make a difference, depending upon how loud you're playing.