Mix and Match for Solo Eveness

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Jul 10, 2005.

1. dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Hello String Forum
    I am currently set up with original flexocors (since I am an orchestral bassist) and while I like my soloistic sound on the G string (thumb position) the other strings do not seem to have as much punch in thumb position solo playing. I am sure that it is probably a very tough thing to have a nice punchy sound on the A and E strings way up near the end of the fingerboard and I know I will drive myself nuts trying to achieve that. But , are the orig. flexocors the best matched set? Would I find more evenness in mixing in 92s on the D, A & E and keeping the original G? The kind of evenness I am talking about is bassically like this--lets say I play the opening of the Koussevitzky on the G string and then I play it again but this time I start on the D string. What I am looking for is more similarity in sound from a higher string to a lower string. Can anyone reccommend a string? Or do all of you have this same thing going on. I am sure everyone does to some extent.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm not a classical player, so take this with a grain of salt:

For my money, the Thomastik Dominants might be a good try for you. The thing that I noticed right away is that the sound was so even from string to string. Take the first A ont he G string, then the D string, and the octave on the A string and the sound is very similar for all the fingerings. Plus you have nice, heavy strings to give you the volume that you need for section playing. I also liked the sound a lot, and teh bowability is very good as well. I would say that maybe they are a little on the bright side for orchestral playing (maybe?) but I'm pretty sure that you could adjust your touch a bit to get the sound you want.
  3. dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    My bass is dark sounding. The original G can be a brigt string and I am not sure if my D string is old or not because it came on the bass when I got it. Ideally I would like to keep my original G since it is giving me a nice sound. How would a 92 D match up with the original G? I am pretty sure the 92 G is darker than the Original G but is the 92 D darker than the original D? About volume...would the 92 heavy gauge match the originals?

What about the thickness and tension between the original G and the heavy 92 G?
  4. dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Has anyone out there tried the 92 flexocor Heavy? If so, how do they compare with the original flexocor?
  5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The '92s heavies are clearer than mediums.
    They could be a good alternative to the Originals for the bottom strings.
    You may wish to keep the Originals for the top if you bass is dark sounding.
    Furthermore the '92s D&G heavies are quite rigid.
    The Originals are easier to play and have plenty of volume.