Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mix and Match strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Masher88, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone know of an online store that will let you choose your own guage of string set? I'm looking for a 5 string set that goes 45-65-85-100-120. I can't seem to find any brand that gets me this combination. Or maybe a place that will let me buy single strings and I can just get the B string in that light gauge. Maybe it's just me, but a 130 B string feels almost disconnected with the rest of the set when it's that large of a jump from the E (100) to the B(130). Like it doesn't belong to that set.
    Thanks

2. You can at juststrings.com

Any others?

3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the site address! Man, I actually had fun shopping for strings! I just made up my own set. I'm trying out their "house brand" of Juststrings.com brand. The price works out cheaper than going to Guitar Center and not getting the string sizing I really want!

4. You're welcome. More places should let you choose gauges

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It would be very cool if a string manufacturer decided to be a bit more hands on and set up a website for 'do it yourself strings' where you could order custom sets.

Of course they'd need a few worker monkeys to pick and pack, but if they made you buy in say, quanitites of 3 or 5 sets, it would be worth everyone's time.