Mix and Match

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flea claypool, Sep 25, 2004.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    ive been thinking of a rig for a while now and i was thinkin a 4x10 eden cab and a head of either G-K SWR or maybe AMPEG

but G-K heads are so nice but i never heard one combined with a eden cab... what do you reckon it would sound like
    for slap and finger picking sortha chilis style rock :help:

is it a bad idea to mix and match heads and cabs of a different brand :help:

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    oh ok im lookin at a swr550x which is 4ohm 550watt straight thru to a 540 watt 4ohm eden cab i reckon this would make quite a nice rig?

I THINK?
  3. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    well the rig that i eventually plan on getting is a GK 1001RB II with an eden 2x15 and an eden 4x10. i think the edens would go very well with the GK. only thing is that rig will cost a lot of money, which i dont have.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How's about halving it? ;) A 210 and a 115 seem to work in most situations very well; that 215 and 410 would be enough for arena-sized venues. Also, the 210 and 115 combination is way more portable.

Back to topic:
    These are all very different animals.
    GK heads: clear, bright, hifi.
    Eden: punchy, mid-growl. Some think it has overaccentuated mids and colors too much
    SWR: clear, scooped hifi. Some say its too cold and sterile. Because its so scooped, it cuts through harder.

BTW, Flea uses GK heads with Mesa cabs
  5. the hartke ha5500 is really nice with the eden 115...

nothing beats my mix n match though..
    peavey mark3
    classic cab 4x10 with seleniums
    ashton 115with celestion
  6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I didn't care much for the sound of SWR heads thru Eden cabs. I'd like to try an Eden head thru an SWR cab tho. I really dig SWR's cabs. ...especiall with an all-tube head. :cool: