Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mix and Matching Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Do you guys mix and match strings at all? I'm thinking about getting a really heavy B-string (maybe a DR?), an A-string Elixer for my E, an A-string Elixer for my A (like Les Claypool), a Relatively heavy D-string, and a relatively heavy G-string.

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone think this sounds like a terrible idea? I play in a metal band (a talented metal band, don't get a bad impression :p ) with my fingers and slap, and occasional tapping. I like my sound to be like Les Claypool and Cliff Burton.

2. Mixing strings is pretty uncommon (never seen any eb players do it, though i know a few db players who do mix strings)

basically you'll just have to try it.

3. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    i do this all the time
    i use D'adarios on teh top 3 and ghs or heavcy fenders on teh bottom, but it depends, some times ill use fender on teh top 2 and DA's on the bottom...depnds on what im going for....

4. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I notice some string players do it a lot too - cellists especially. (OT: I checked out the price of a set of cello strings; I'll never complain again about spending $40 for a set of eb strings :) )

I'd say check it out though.

Anybody ever mix rounds and flats?

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    On some basses I use a DR Hi-Beam for the low B, and Low Beams for the rest. Brightens up a dark B string, without causing the other strings to be overly bright. The overall tone across all the strings ends up very even.