Mix and Matching Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Do you guys mix and match strings at all? I'm thinking about getting a really heavy B-string (maybe a DR?), an A-string Elixer for my E, an A-string Elixer for my A (like Les Claypool), a Relatively heavy D-string, and a relatively heavy G-string.

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone think this sounds like a terrible idea? I play in a metal band (a talented metal band, don't get a bad impression :p ) with my fingers and slap, and occasional tapping. I like my sound to be like Les Claypool and Cliff Burton.
  2. Mixing strings is pretty uncommon (never seen any eb players do it, though i know a few db players who do mix strings)

basically you'll just have to try it.
  3. jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    i do this all the time
    i use D'adarios on teh top 3 and ghs or heavcy fenders on teh bottom, but it depends, some times ill use fender on teh top 2 and DA's on the bottom...depnds on what im going for....
  4. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I notice some string players do it a lot too - cellists especially. (OT: I checked out the price of a set of cello strings; I'll never complain again about spending $40 for a set of eb strings :) )

I'd say check it out though.

Anybody ever mix rounds and flats?
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    On some basses I use a DR Hi-Beam for the low B, and Low Beams for the rest. Brightens up a dark B string, without causing the other strings to be overly bright. The overall tone across all the strings ends up very even.