Mix Critique?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by peddles, Jul 25, 2013.

1. peddles

peddles

Sep 5, 2011
    Palm Coast
    i was really hoping to get some insight on this mix for my band's song "Nico Robin" So far i'm pretty happy with it, and about to release it for good..but wouldn't mind some outside input!

Everything was live recorded except for the vocals which were overdubbed afterwords. I'm more of a fan of this "sound" than a studio recording.

Also feel free to make some comments on the song itself!:bassist:

rock on

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. The guitar seems way out front along with the cymbals and the kick drum while the bass and snare/toms get buried. Especially in the really big parts. This makes the drums seem like they aren't together as a kit. It also makes it seem like there's nothing in the center of the mix. Like the stuff panned extreme left and right is way closer and the stuff panned center is very far away. Along those same lines, I feel like there could be a more natural sounding stereo spread where the cymbals aren't so focused left and right. The same is true with the guitars.

The recording does sound good and the tone of each instrument sounds well matched to the others. Certainly the EQing seems spot on.

3. peddles

peddles

Sep 5, 2011
    Palm Coast
    I'll experiment with somethings tonight with some panning, you brought up some good points for me to go over! I appreciate it a lot!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021