1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mix EA CXL-110 w/ Aguilar GS112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Jul 16, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I am planning purchasing a pair of Euphonic Audio CXL-110s to go with the pair of GS112s I already have. I believe this will be one of the final pieces of my super-duper modular rig. I love my GS112s, but I would like to get some of the speed and punch of a 10". My goal is to get optimum flexibility and kick-a$$ tone out of my rig. I would like the option to pair a CXL-110 with a GS112, or use all cabs simultaneously. I am picking the CXL-110 because it is voiced a little higher than the GS-112, has similar power handling(Ag 300W, EA 350W), and similar speaker sensitivity(Ag 102, EA 103). Power is not an issue for me since I have plenty of it (Peavey DPC1000 and Stewart PA1400).

How do think this set up will work/sound? Has anyone done something like this before? If so, what were your results like?

BTW,does anyone know if the EA has a "thru jack". I know that it has a speakon and 1/4", but don't know if they can function as a "thru"

Thanks in advance

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had two CXL-110s and they DO NOT have thru plug unless you can use the XLR or 1/4 as a thru. they only had one of each on each cab. I had performance problems with my 110s so I'm upgrading to the 112. I'd love to hear GS112s. in case I don't like the cxl112.

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think that would be as killer rig. I tried something similar by mixing my Euphonic and Bag cabinets and it was a great tone....a nice mix of two excellent cabinets. I think you would get the same good results with a EA/Aggie rig.The only thing I would suggest though is think about the EA CXL112 rather than the 10. It's a lot more flexible.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Both plugs on the EA are thru plugs. I know, because that's how I use mine with an Aguilar GS112. I run a speakon to speakon from my Ampeg Portabass 250 to the EA CXL110, and then a 1/4" to Speakon from the EA to the Aguilar. It works great, and sounds fantastic!

I always loved the way the Aguilar sounded by itself, but adding the CXL110 really added some punch to the tone.

I play with both a blues band, and a jazz band and the rig works great with both. My guitar players use realistic sound levels, so that certainly helps. I have, however, managed to compete with a 4x12 stack with this rig, too.

It's lightweight, and doesn't take up too much of a footprint when stack like this:

[​IMG]

And, it works equally well with both electric, and upright.

Go for it. As long as you are not looking for insanely high volume levels, you'll be pleased, I think.