1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mix of Modern and Classic Country. Your bass choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luckydog, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Good old P-bass

58.8%
  2. Sadowsky Jazz 4

13.4%
  3. Sadowsky PJ 4

27.7%
  1. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Been doing a lot of country last 2 years, some old classics (George Jones, Johnny Cash etc.), some newer "classic sounding" stuff (Alan Jackson, etc.), some "heavier" sounding country (Adkins, Brooks and Dunn, etc.) and mostly new country hits, pop stuff if you will (Lady Antebellum, Sugarland, Zac Brown, Underwood). I've been using old J's, P's, and Sadowsky Jazz and PJ 4's. Truly love the PJ across these music styles, but what would you use if you could only bring one of these basses. Yeah 5 string I know. I make do just fine with 4's so of these which would you use?

2. P. It has played more country music than any other bass.

If you want a change, then a Gretsch hollowbody.

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I could be perfectly happy with any of those choices... and a b-string.;)

4. You can't go wrong with the good ol' P-bass for country. I saw a local country band a few weeks ago and there bass player was playing a stingray, that wouldn't be my first choice for country but to each his own.

5. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    good 'ol P

6. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I vote PJ. They sound better to me then just a plain P or J.

7. I heard some country band on Crag Fergusson last night (Jason somebody or other) and their bassist was playing a Sadowsky jazz and the tone floored me. Made me start GASing for one. I would say either the PJ or the J.

lowsound

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    For modern country you need an active 5 string bass.

9. I saw Alan Jackson's bass player using a Fender MIA P5 in a music video (so who knows about the recording) but it got me thinking: P5 = ultimate country tone. You've got the 5-strings, AND the P-Sound. Win-win.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I thought there was physical peril attendant to playing a Country gig with anything but a P. :meh:

11. crazy_bassist

crazy_bassist

Dec 31, 2003
    I would use a P Bass, or a 5 string.

I think in country these days you pretty much need a 5'er of some sort.

12. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I've seen the county guys use the J but the P is more common. I'd go with a 5'er

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Here is a pic of Swine Grantt's bass and a pic of him in the studio. It you know who he is, you have your answer. If not, why worry? :D :D :D

blue_sadowsky.
    Swine-01.

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    His pic and gear list don't match.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    uhhh, you mean that list below...that's mine. Grantt's bass is an NYC Sadowsky vintage Jazz 5er, maple and swamp ash, with single coils and a special paint color he once refered to as "Carolina Blue." Hope that helps...

16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Its funny that you said that. I'm not a country music fan but I have seen a bunch on Palladium. I have noticed lately that a lot of the country band bass players are using five string EBMM Stingrays.

17. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm going to suggest something else entirely--a G&L L2000 fretless. I like the fretless better for country, especially classic country, because you can get more of that acoustic sort of rolling bass sound when the music calls for it. But being a solid body, the L2000 can do a fast attack, and you can string it with rounds or pressure wounds (my favorite) to get more snarl and growl when called for. But if you want a sweet full sound like a P-bass, that drives the beat, oh yes, the L2000 will do that. But if you want tanky snarl to echo a Telecaster, the L2000 will do that too, and a whole lot more.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Opps. My mistake.

19. silvertones

silvertones

Apr 19, 2010
    Well I've been playing Country for 46 years.
    Started with a '65 Fender P, then a Cramer with EMG's, now I play a Carvin BB75

20. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If I were to play that gig, I'd use a G&L L2500. the swiss army knife of basses. Really.:bassist: