1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mixed impedance cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shneezy, Apr 23, 2010.

1. another stupid question, i know but any help would be awesome.
    i usually run my fender 300 pro into a svt 410 hlf(4ohm) and the svt 810 ( 4 ohm) then i run my amp at two ohms ( it is switchable between 2 4 and 8)

i need the volume i am getting now for a majority of the gigs because stage volume is the only volume.

i also have a warwick 410 (8 ohms) is there anything i can do to make that cab a 4ohm cab?> so i can use only the two 410s

the guy at the local music store said i could run my amp at 4 or 8 ohms into the the 8 ohm and the 4 ohm 410. acoording to what i have learned so far that is not a good idea.
    help help help!

2. A: The question gets asked at least once a week - NO you CANNOT EVER make a 4 ohm cab an 8 ohm cab OR vice versa by simply rewiring it. You MUST change the speakers.

B: Running a 4 ohm cab with an 8 ohm cab gives you a total load of 2.67 ohms. The 4 ohm cab will get 2/3 of your power and the 8 ohm cab will getr 1/3. The guy at the local music store is an idiot (probably Altos).

3. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Correct me if I am wrong but, this is a tube amp so the
    output should be matched as closely as possible to the load.
    The impedance switch allows you to choose which
    transformer tap to use 2, 4 or 8 ohm. (This is different from a
    solid state amp where the output does not need to be selected.)

The load of the circuit with the 8ohm and 4 ohm cabs is
    2.67 ohms. If you use that circuit, choose the 2 ohm tap
    which is closest to the actual load and you should be fine.

If you disconnect the 8 ohm cab, change the tap to 4 ohm.

Note that the 8 ohm cab will draw 1/2 less current than
    the 4 ohm cab i.e the 4 will draw 2/3's of the output current
    and the 8 1/3 of it.

Plug'em in and see how it sounds.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Like said above, it'll work, but the imbalance between the 2 cabs would be enough reason not to do it, for me.