1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mixed Nordstrand Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    My Ibanez SR1206 is still rocking the stock Nordstrand "Big Singles." These are great pickups with an amazing tone but I have never loved single-coils and really struggle with the hum. As such, I am looking at replacing the pickups but want to give my bass some real versatility. Sticking with Nordstrand, I was thinking of replacing my pickups with a Big Split in the neck position and a Fat Stack in the bridge.

I have little experience with replacing pickups. Would I run into issues pairing these two pickups as long as everything else remains even?

2. This is one of the things I wish Nordstrand would add to their "tone" profiles, the output.
    DiMarzio adds the output in milliVolts, which is a great help when matching up pickups.

Nordstrand has a rep. on TB, but I can never remember their ID. Ask Nordstrand directly.

3. lur3nj14

lur3nj14

Feb 21, 2016
    Kansas City, MO
    I actually have Fat Stack for neck and Big Split for bridge on my bass. Volume wise, the Big Split is a little bit louder (around 3 dB) than the Fat Stack in stacked/hum-cancelling mode. However, Fat Stack in single coil mode with the top coil (sort of like Big Singles) has pretty even volume with the Big Split.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Bioflava

Bioflava

Feb 14, 2016
    Hey @lur3nj14 that sounds like an amazing combo! Was this a custom setup? Do you have any images or clips you can share? I'm thinking about building a bass with this kind of setup. Thanks!

5. lur3nj14

lur3nj14

Feb 21, 2016
    Kansas City, MO
    I was swapping out the stock EMG HZ pickups on my schecter stiletto. I saw this video showing the difference between Fat Stack, Big Single, and Big Split, and picked the setup based on what I found most favorable in each pickup location. Here's right after I had installed the new pickups. IMG_20160707_070443.

5StringPocket, Bioflava and dukeorock like this.