Mixed slap/fingerstyle playing: balance?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Funkateer, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I'd like to be able to incorporate the odd slap fill into an otherwise fingerstyle groove. One problem I have is that when I go from fingers to slap the instantaneous increase in volume is very groove disruptive. Is this a pretty good indication that I slap too hard?
  2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I would suggest getting a compressor pedal to limit the slap/pop volume. Some people think it's a crutch, but I disagree. I have one, and it works well for that purpose. :)
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    now, do you use it only when you slap on a whole tune?

do you ever just use it for a measure of slap and then go back to fingerstyle?

4. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    In my band, I don't have a song that is all slapping/popping, but for any song I do with slapping (no matter how short the slapping part is), I just leave the compressor on the whole time.
  5. That's interesting, about the volume thing. When I go from fingerstyle to slap, (which is almost never), there's a huge decrease in volume. It seems like if I wanted to slap, I'd have to turn my amp up quite a bit more. Slap just doesn't seem to cut through nearly as well as fingerstyle playing.
  6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

I dunno about you guys, but I have my compressor on all the time, but set in a way that it's nearly only even functioning when I hit a hard note or slap. Most of my playing lights up the LED a bit but it only spikes in compression (and brightness) when there's a big level-spike from my fingers.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dead strings?
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I have the same experience. Dead strings or not. Could it be that fingerstyle playing gives a stronger midrange?
  9. Something like that maybe. It just seems like regular rest stroke technique cuts through way better than slapping and popping.