Mixed strings on a bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Avs, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Avs

Feb 19, 2001
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hi there,

I happened to put strings from two different sets on my Rick Turner Eletroline 5, with Tobias on B & E, D'Addario Chrome on the other three. (Why I do this way is another long story I don't want to bother you guys) I am in the process of testing its result. Does anyone ever use strings from different sets on a bass? My classical guitar friend told me classical guitar players do it all the time, using the best one (to fit their style) for each string. Let me know if there is another thread talking 'bout this.:p
  2. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    In a pinch, let's say in a gig situation where you broke a string...and all you had was a different set, I'd say sure.......

The point of keeping the same family of strings on the Bass is to keep the tone, output and sustain of each string constant......

..but if you're looking to do something different from that , I'd say go for it and do what works for you !! :)

3. Yup, I'd go for it !

Ive found that on few sets of strings ive been thru, that some E's sound better than the other striaght away, or they take a while to get worn in and then sound nice.

Hope it works out. :)
  4. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Sounds cool. I might try it some day, or not...;)
  5. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Mixing strings isn't as outlandish as it seems. I've done it in the past, using Fender light guage nickle wrapped strings with a round E in place of the flat E. I know that at one time Chuck Rainey used a similar set and I remember reading that T-Bone Wolk used a mixed set. I think it was Round E and A and groundwound D and G. the general idea was to improve clarity on the low strings and alleviate string noise (zippers) on the higher notes.