1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mixed Vocal Songs With an Edge

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Swicked, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Unsure if this is the right place for this thread, and I apologise if it isn't.

I'm in need of some songs incorporating male/female vocals working together but in an energetic way. Think Tame by Pixies or....actually that's all I can think of.

2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Fleetwood Mac
    Some vocal groups that aren't nec. Mixed, but work if your fem. vocalist has a low voice - or male high voiced - S&G , Indigo Girl tunes like "three hits" is very energetic -
    Think vocal duo, and change keys to suit your vocalists.

3. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Also that huge hit from last summer featured male and female voices. Very challenging male part tho

4. p-lo

p-lo

Jun 18, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A couple fairly modern shared vocal songs I play in a band with dual fronts:

Little Talks - Of Monsters & Men
    Home - Edward Sharp & The Magnetic Zeroes

5. I like the indigo girls tune, the rest I have to say are not necessarily what I'm searching for.
    I'm searching for something like this
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOy-IbqUPo
    But with one singer being female. Pretty much what you would get if the singer from Deerhoof or Melt Banana collaborated with dfa79

6. JakeF

JakeF

Apr 3, 2012
    Awwwwwwww Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Human League - DON'T YOU WANT ME BABY!!!

7. It's like I want to but I don't. Your suggestion has made me very confused.

8. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    First things that come to my mind are:

Nightwish - Rockin tune:

By the way.. Anyone else think that Stevie Nicks and Carrie Fisher (Princess Liea) look like sisters? :)

9. Holy shi...

Also thanks for the suggestions but first few aren't really our style. Vocals and instrumentation is too smooth if you know what I mean. The chain is a great suggestion though, thanks.

10. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Hey no problem. If you didn't check it out yet that 2nd Nightwish tune, "Sleeping Sun" is really different from the other links and is a nice mellow track with a strong female lead vocal. And yes Carrie and Stevie both have the same raspy speaking voice thing going on these days.

More Fleetwood Mac

Go Your Own Way - :D

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    There were this old alt band that I heard one time at a festival when I'd had too much hot wine.

Check this out. Might be up your alley.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6srlXt9FCE

Apparently the female vocalist was the BL which is dumb because she doesn't really seem to do a lot.

12. Now this is getting closer to the mark. Will probably cover this, thanks.

Another song to show what sort of female vocals i'm going for.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FP2hd0xS4SE

Le Tigre - The The Empty

13. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Totally unrelated, but I'd love to hear a rocking woman do "Helter Skelter". Though I suppose it could work as a duet. Yeah that would be awesome. Looking at each other and harmonizing on " you may be a lover but you ain't no dancer..."

14. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    Ever hear of the Canadian band Stars? Or how about Arcade Fire (also Canadian LOL). Those are two of the best examples in modern indie. Definitely worth checking out.

15. JakeF

JakeF

Apr 3, 2012
    Some songs are very powerful. Just so happened that this one can deeply affect the listener on a level we can all relate. Common issues and emotions.

And its really sleazy as hell.

16. I have heard of both, stars is a bit mellow but Arcade Fire might be good although I'm pretty unfamiliar of their discography outside of Neon Bible

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My friends band does just that! Look them up, theyre called Choix.

18. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    ^ great minds...

19. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    B-52s have some great male-female back-&-forth songs & quite energetic.