1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixer as a Blend Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm going to set up a small mixer as part of a pedalboard. I'll use an A/B box to feed two separate lines into the mixer's channels 1 and 2 (clean and fx), and just use the mixer's Send/Return loop. Each channel has an Aux knob, so I'll use the Aux on one channel to blend in the fx chain and leave it off (clean) on the other. I'll control which channel gets fed via the A/B box.

It'll be a little bulky there on the floor, but hey. It's a pedalboard, and it's a little bulky anyway. I'll also have to watch my input gain I suppose... Anyone else using a mixer instead of a Boss LS-2 or similar?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've done that for many years with rack effects, and occasionally a few pedals. It works, but I didn't get "really good" results until I started using mixers that had multiple busses and multiple aux loops, and even then I spent a fair amount of time with my hand on the sliders. I was playing electronic devices, not bass, so I could get away with not always playing with both hands.

When I started focusing more on bass, I found myself more and more dissatisfied with the lack of footswitch controls on the mixer. With shoes off, and with each effect having its own mixer channel, I was able to fade effects in and out with my toe, which was kinda cool; but also kind of a gimmicky mess, with unpredictable levels.

The main problem I'd have with that setup now is that some effects sound good blended; some effects need their phase adjusted in order to sound good blended; and some effects just don't sound good blended. I wouldn't want my whole chain to be blended equally. And if you toe-fade the effects on and off, your overall signal level will go up and down significantly. You may have to be seated, and use both bare feet at the same time: one to turn the effects up and down, and the other to control your master level.

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Sounds like quite a ride. I don't use many fx, it's just to get something dialed in right. We'll see, but I really don't want to get that involved with it all. I'm after a simple, set-and-forget idea. But thanks for the insight there!