Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixer Cards vs Interface Cards

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bgavin, May 7, 2003.

1. As I begin to educate myself on PC interface cards, it appears the M-Audio cards are "mixer" type cards. The last paragraphs of the user manual state "if you use an external mixer", then speak about their cards being the mixer type.

What are the names and model numbers of cards that are simply interface cards for multiple input channels?

I'm searching for hardware/software that will interface multiple balanced (XLR) channels into my computer for live, multi-track recording.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Pretty much all soundcards have software mixers, but can also be used just as (multi-channel) analog-digital converters.
    M-Audio's Delta cards are good choices for what you want to do, you just have to decide if you need 4 (Delta 44), 6 (Delta 66) or 10 (Delta 1010) inputs.

Or check out RME's Hammerfall (if you want to /can afford the best) and choose the inferface you need.

www.rme-audio.com

3. The M-Delta cards are "mixer" type interface cards, with mixing hardware chips installed. Reading the last paragraphs of the manual "if you use an external mixer" is quite revealing. These cards are not an 8 or 10 channel LINE IN type card. They are mixing hardware cards, which I don't want.

I'm trying to find the right cards and software that will let my computer appear to an external mixer as an ADAT, or other multi-channel recording device.

4. Just because it's a "mixer card" doesn't mean you can't accomplish what you want - just setup the mixer once and don't worry about it again. Besides, every soundcard I know of has some sort of mixer app.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What he said.

Pros and amateurs all over the world are using those cards in exactly the way you want to do, too.

There are (probably) no up-to-date soundcards without at least some mixing capabilities.

Get a Delta in the size you want (number of in/outs), or blow your wallet for the best - RME.

6. I'm pretty much sold on the MOTU 24IO interface.

That will give me true 24 channel multi-track recording at 96 KHz into my DAW. Now I have to figure out which software package is best suited for live recording and basic mix-down.

Too bad the MOTU is so Macintosh oriented, as the AudioDesk software that comes with the 24IO box will be of no use on my Intel based machines.