Mixer for computer recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Aug 6, 2002.

1. if i buy a mixer? ( im looking at this one - here ) for computer recording.... will it be usefull?

i have a oldish computer, 500 mhz, that i want to use for recording and such, putting full songs together, guitar, bass, drums, vocals and such, i know i have to buy some high quality mics...

could somebody please explain the ' process ' .... software, hardware.... thanks
  2. What soundcard do you have?

Software is subjective. Look at all the ones available in your price range and find the one you like best, interface-wise. I like Cool Edit Pro and the Steinberg programs best. Depends on your needs though.

A few good mics, of course. But I fear your choice of mixers will limit your audio quality, although I have not heard the Nady. Generally, there is a reason mixers cost so much...you get what you pay for. I lucked out on a Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro for $250, used, perfect condition. Look around, you might find something better.

Anyways, describe your intent, and we can probably help a little more...
  3. as of now, the sound card is just the bassic built in soundcard...

that mixer is no good you say? hmmmm

im really looking for somebody explain HOW the mixer will help me...you know?

the hole 9 yards you know...
  4. 36bass

Aug 4, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    I agree. That mixer would be a big mistake to get because of it's quality. A good mixer should have a good preamp section, plenty of routing options and be affordable. Although the Nady is cheap-you really do get what you pay for.
  5. what do you guys reccommend in the 200-250 price range?
  6. Used Mackie or Soundcraft.

As to how the mixer will help, well...

Think about those drums you want to record, for starters. How many mics do you think you will need for the set? Are you going to play bass along with your drummer? Any guitars in there as well. With a mixer you can play along with your drummer(via headphones) and only record his - uh, lets say - 4 mics. You mix those 4 mics into one stereo track and record that w/ your PC. You can then go back and do bass, guitars, vocals, keyboards...whatever.

Go talk to a sales person and ask about the products, but don't buy anything until you fully understand what it is you are buying. It's hard to describe without seeing, or, more importantly, hearing what is is you spend so much money on.

There is plenty of information available on the web if you want a walkthrough. Start here: http://www.homerecording.com/newbies.html , then try looking around sites like www.prorec.com. A book on home recording from your local music store would probably help as well.
  7. and what would be best? what kind of mixer?

powered? analog? digital??
  8. Well, I wouldn't think you need a powered one, unless you are using it for your PA, too. Analog or digital is a whole new can of worms, but, for the most part, it would depend on how you plan on connecting to your PC. Since you are only using your built in soundcard, I'd stick to analog. For your price range, I can't think of a decent sounding digital board. They have lots of features but don't sound as good, imo.

"Best" is subjective though. It's like buying a bass. All mixers, like basses, have certain characteristics (like sound quality, # of preamps, phantom power, EQ, auxes, inserts, blah blah blah,...) that you need to sort out. Grab ahold of all the product specs you can find, play around with them, and purchase the one that fits your needs and sounds best to you. Just be a good consumer. ;) :)