1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixer recommendation

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by oZZma, Jan 4, 2019.

1. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Hi, I'm looking for a mixer to record reharsals and, later, a self-produced EP.
    We are a duo, bass and drums, bass goes through two amps. We also use samples.
    Budget: as low as possibile. I prefer buying used stuff.
    How many channels do I need? Other features I should look at?
    If you know some models that could fit my needs any suggestion is welcome!

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    If you are set on the mixer form factor and have the ability to connect a mixer to a computer via USB for recording your multitracks, something like this would more than suit your purposes. I'd say 12 channels would be more than enough. Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK

sc_signature12mtka.

There are other options/form factors (dedicated audio interfaces, mobile harddisc recorders, etc) that can do similar things.

TomB and oZZma like this.
  3. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Thank you!!
    Honestly I wasn't even aware of the other options, if they are handier or cheaper I'd look for other options too!
    Are they capable of multitrack recording?

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    No probs. Off the top of my head, you could look into the following for examples - all can do multitrack. All except the Presonus have onboard recording functionality (meaning no computer required to record).

1. Presonus Studio 1810
    2. Zoom R8
    3. Boss BR-80
    4. Tascam DP-008

oZZma likes this.
  5. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Thanks!! Onboard recording would be very handy so I don't have to bring my laptop with me every time! :)
    Now I check for prices on the used market ;)

6. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    Behringer Xenyx UFX1604
    very cheap, connects to your DAW through USB (records multitracks directly to your DAW) and you can connect a USB stick and records separate tracks without need of a DAW (then you can transfer your files to a DAW for mixing and mastering). It costs around €300.

upload_2019-1-7_10-45-12.

oZZma likes this.
  7. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Thanks!!!

8. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    oZZma likes this.
  9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I wouldn't bother with a mixer. An eight channel recording interface should get the job done, depending on the number of drums on the kit and how much close mic'ing you need as opposed to using something like the Glyn Johns mic technique.

LBS-bass and oZZma like this.
  10. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I think we'll stick to the classic 4 mic technique.. we don't have the knowledge for too complicated things :atoz:

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you're going with four mics then you should definitely look-up both the Glyn Johns and Recorderman methods. They're very easy to implement and in my experience tend to work more predictably than the typical X-Y or spaced pair arrangements.

oZZma likes this.
  12. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I'll study them, thanks!! :)

13. Have a look at the Zoom H6. It's about 300,- with 2 sets of stereo mics. Records up to 6 tracks at once. Allows overdubbing and works as an USB audio interface, too. Records on sd-cards. Has 4 XLR/1/4 combo-inputs with phantom power if needed. 6 with the additional XLR module that replaces the mics. Small and many additional uses.
    ZOOM_H-6_160165bbe1d18c965e_600x600@2x.

oZZma likes this.
  14. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Do you have a computer? Download the free version of ProTools (I think its called ProTools First) and you will have 16 tracks plus the benefits of a DAW.
    Rock on.

oZZma likes this.
  15. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    There is a Zoom R16 multitrack recorder for sale right now in tge TB classifieds under "miscellaneous" for $200.

I have one myself and it's perfect for recording the whole band and you can either mix and master within the unit or else export the tracks to computer.

16. Cownancy

Cownancy Beginner as of 1/2019 Supporting Member

So far, of the suggestions you have received, I am not a fan of Behringer, sonically.

oZZma likes this.
  17. Cownancy

Cownancy Beginner as of 1/2019 Supporting Member

I have one of the first Zoom 2 channel recorders and we've done live recording with it with amazing results for something with was so small. I haven't kept up with the current models but if they are as good or better than the little guy I have, it's pretty amazing. When I had small rehearsal/recording studio, I had a Mackie and liked having something with bigger controls, but my eyesight isn't so bad and I have big beefy fingers (size 13 ring). I think I will have to go look at today's Zoom models. Thanks alot...(cough, cough)... this could put a dent in my wallet..again.

oZZma likes this.
  18. A small dent. There are better recorders out there but for much more money (Sounddevices etc.). For 300,- the H6 is really great. The 2 mic modules are worth at least 150,- alone. The mic-preamps are improved compared to the older models and the R8 or R16. There is a smaller model than the H6 that is more marketed to musicians. Overdubbing is easier and it has integrated effects. The H6 just has compressors and high pass filters. Even better but 500,- is the F4.
    For those who have more money, have a look at the Sounddevice recorders.
    The H6 was much more expensive but it is out for 5 years now. Battery live is great, too.

One experience that surprised me: if you have a halfway decent sounding rehearsal space and think a bit about positioning the mics a bit and try different locations, these recordings are often better than multitrack recordings done by amateurs. Depending on the instruments being used for sure. We just have keys/git./bass/vocals and a Cajon.
    At gigs I like to position the Zoom exactly at the soundguys desk so the mics hear what the soundguy is hearing. These recordings are most of the times better than the direct 2-track mix from the board - although with the Zoom you can have both at the same time.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Cownancy likes this.