mixing 2 amps together?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. voodoobass, Jan 25, 2004.

1. i´m using two amps together one for edgy distortion+effects and one with a clean bassy sound.
    the problem: on some songs i want to have just a little bit of the "driveamp" and on others a little of the clean one.
    sometimes both blasting with equal level.
    i know i could use two volume pedals/one for each amp but i am wondering if there is a device that can do all of this. for the moment i´m turning up/down the volume on each amp during rehearsals, but i don´t want to do so on stage.
    i have been using an A/B-box, but found out that i often wanted some bottom when the drive amp was on and that it sounded great to sometimes sneak in just a little bit of tube-grind to my clean sound.

any advises?
  2. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    well if you aren't using both amps for volume and you're just using that to get the sound...if you'd rather use a device I'd go with a Boss odb-3 overdrive pedal. It has a balance knob so you can dial in how much clean tone you want and how much drive you want. And if you want even more crunch there is also a gain knob as well. I use it with my Stingray5 and it sounds great
  3. You could also look at some of the small mixers available that would allow you to precisely and easily change levels. Behringer makes a number of small inexpensive mixers, much less than what you'd pay for 2 good quality volume pedals.
  4. well, i´ll still have to fiddle with some knobs(mixing-console)
    what i need is a volume pedal that in its...
    centerpositon: both amps
    bottom: first amp
    top: second amp
    and everything inbetween, but it doesn´t seem to be such a thing...
  5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Tada! The Ernie Ball (Stereo Volume)/Pan Pedal

6. ok, that was intresting and i´m still thinking of a way to work it out.
    the guy at the store told me i couldn´t do it the way i wanted(over the phone)and told me i needed two volume pedals ($$$) but i´m gonna visit the store to try it out myself.
    i guess i could use a volumepedal for just the "drive-amp" and blend it in, but sometimes i just don´t need the "clean-amp".
    version 2 would be a A/B-box before the vol-pedal, with the ability to use both amps together but i´ll visit the store first...