Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mixing 210xst with 115xlt (w' WT800)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gruuv247, Dec 29, 2004.

1. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Would the xst and xlt make good match (considering diferent tonal qualities). Considering 210xst and a 115xlt for the bottom(using WT-800). A friend told me that I shouldn't mix the 2 ,(and to just get the 210xlt for the top). Any users out there? neede some input. :bassist:

2. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    By the way I play alot of fusion jazz,latin funk. Just looking for that thick warmth

3. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Am also considering 112xlt for the bottom

4. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    And what about 212 xlt? ;) :bag:

5. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Your own ears will be the best judge, but I don't agree with your friend that you "can't" mix the two. That said, I've played the 210XST and the 210XLT together in a store and the combo gave the punchy aggressive cut of the XLT and the smooth thickness of the XST. But if you are looking for thickness, I'd suggest a second 210XST. A pair of those would probably be as thick as you could get without getting muddy. If it were me, I'd demo two 210XST's against the 210XST/XLT stack against the 210XST/115XLT stack and let your ears decide. And take a friend who has good ears along and have them stand farther away to get a gig type listening perspective...what sounds good up close may not sound good at audience distance.

6. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Also pay attention to the old Eden 800 'problem' - 400 watts per side into a 4 ohm load per side or 800 watts into an 8 ohm bridged load. Check the impedance on your current cab.

I have run 2 8 ohm cabs but it was not ideal. My WT800 seems to work best bridged into a 410XLT - 8 ohm.

As for cabs, I would look at the 2x 210 xst route too - the extra cab adds a lot more warmth and low end than logic would dictate. The Eden 15 is cheaper but there are better 15's.

all the best

7. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    What was the problem with the 2 8 ohm cabs?

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I run a 4ohm 210XLT and a 4ohm 215XLT with my WT800 and it smokes!!!!!!!!!! Really clean warm sound. I would suggest this setup to anyone.

9. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    At one time, Eden was one of the top manufacturers with their XLT line. Bass Player magazine's test rig always included a D-410XLT. Since the market is changing, bass players are looking for smaller, lightweight, yet efficient and loud cabinets. In turn, new companies have popped up and Eden has responded by adding the XST line. That's just excellent and it makes me wonder why SWR has been asleep at the wheel for a little while on new cabinet designs.

I like the idea of the new XST line with it's extended low end frequency response. It really got me thinking how would a D-410XLT and D-410XST sound together? By placing the XST on the bottom and the XLT on the top, I think you have a fairly killer rig. I'm not sure if someone has experimented with this combination, if you have, please chime in!

With all do respect to gruuv247, I think have the 210XST / 210XLT is a great combination. However, I think this combination would really benefit a 5 or 6 string player more so than a 4 due to the lower frequency response of the XST. Unfortunately, I haven't personally tried the XST line at all, as it would be a special order for me up in Canada. So, all I can really say is "it looks good on paper".

Aside from all of this, you really need for your ears to make the decision, 10's generally sound better up close (Eden XLT cabinets will throw a little further than most) while 15's are usually better at a distance, this is why the 210 / 115 is a better choice, IMHO, over one 410. Here's an even bigger hint, try playing the 210 / 115 combination with the 115XLT on top of the 210XST.....you may find a different but better result than having the 210 on the top.

I hopes this helps a little. I really think you can't go to wrong with Eden.....but Eden is not for everyone. If your playing rock music, definitely add more cones and more cabinets rather than sending all the power from your amp into one cabinet.

10. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    The WT 800 is a stereo amp and is basically 2 WT 400's in one box.

The ideal 2 cabinet set up is a 4 ohm cab plugged into each side to obtain optimum power.

However, if you are using a single 4 ohm cab you are then using half the amp. It is possible to bridge the amp but then the optimal impedance is into an 8 ohm cabinet.

So to get the best out of an EDen WT 800 - it seems that 3 cabs are necessary!

I have used 2 8 ohm cabs and they work but I am not getting the best out of the amp.

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Get 2 8ohm cabs and run them together to get that 4ohm load then get 2 more and do the same thing. Serious air movement, not to mention a broken back from carring all of that stuff. It sure would look cool.