1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mixing 8 Ohms and 4 ohms cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skaboy, Apr 29, 2009.

1. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    Alright guys,

Got a 300 watt GK Backline 600, minimum load is at 4 ohms.

I want hook it up to my 15 inch cab, 200 watts, at 8 ohms together with my 4 ohms, 600 watts Warwick 4 x 10 cab.

What's gonna happen? Am I gonna be all good?

Thanks.

2. You will wind up with a 2.5 - 3 ohm total load, which the amp is not designed for. Very well could overheat and/or fry something.

You could pair the 8 ohm 1 x15 with another 8 ohm cab, would be fine @ 4 total ohms.

But with your GK, any 4 ohm cab is a stand-alone unit.

3. casanova2416

casanova2416

Mar 25, 2008
  4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Its like dividing by 0, dont do it.

Bad things happen.

5. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    Thanks for your replies.

Yea probably not a good mix aye.

I also have another question, is mixing ohmages always a bad thing? I guess if you know what you're doing then it won't really matter..

I'll have a read at all those posts on ohmage, it can get pretty confusing.

6. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?

The toast will land on it's feet and the cat will end up butter side down.

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    its really not that complicated once you get the basics into your head.

Most common cab combinations:

8ohm cab + 8ohm cab = 4ohm load
    4ohm cab + 4ohm cab = 2ohm load

8ohm cab + 4ohm cab = 2.67ohm load

Also keep in mind that, as ohms represents resistance (in simple terms) a 4ohm load offers the amp less resistance than an 8ohm load. So, if you mix a 4ohm cab and an 8ohm cab (for a total 2.67 load to the amp) the power, and therefore the "volume" the amp produces into each cab will NOT be equal. So, it's best to try and get cabs of equal ohm loads if you can.

All your amps should show a min recommended ohm speaker load. Try not to go below that recommendation. There are amps that are known to be able to operate safely below their listed minimums, and there is a difference between tube and SS amps in dealing with loads limits, but unless you know that for certain, stay within the equipment ratings and you should be good to go.