Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mixing a good 4x10" with a less efficient 1x15" ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassotus, Jan 1, 2003.

1. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    ...just played my first gig with my new Glockenklang Quattro, and I must say the cab is _almost_ everything I had hoped for. Very clear, very punchy and loud, but I kinda miss some of the boom of my 4x12" Marshall (but none of the muddiness ;) ).. Additionally, the Quattro is so much smaller than my previous cab that I had to lift it on top of a couple of beer crates to hear myself (had to play standing next to cab). I'm now considering getting an additional Uno 15" cab from Glockenklang, but the sensitivity ratings of the Quattro and Uno differ by 5dB's... Would it be wiser to try to match the sensitivities of the two cabs more closely, or will the 4x10 with 103dB m/W and 1x15" with 98dB create a good balance?

Thanks,
    --
    Mikko

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sweet....

Oh yeah: running the Quattro and the Uno shouldn't be a problem if you use a stereo amplifier with enough power.

Example: for a few years I used an EV-loaded Mesa/Boogie 2x10 with an Ampeg 2x10. They sounded great together, but the Mesa cabinet was much more efficient so I had to compensate with the gain knobs of my power amp.

3. None of the 15s or 18s will be as sensitive as a 4x10, so use the other power amp channel and adjust accordingly.

4. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    ..okay, so now I'm looking at buying a power amp? Jeez.. Phonic MAX-1500 would seem sufficient, spec wise at least, but my Trace Elliot head only has a post-EQ, fixed-level balanced DI-out in addition to the speaker outputs. Is it possible to feed the power amp from that, and if so wouldn't it mean that the only way of controlling the volume would be with the power amp's gain knobs? (yes, my bass has a volume knob too, but ..)

thanks,
    --
    Mikko

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Aren't sensitivity ratings measured at somethink like 1 kHz?

I'd recommend that you just try them together and listen to how they sound together.

I used to stack a Goliath II on top of a 1x15 with an EVM 15 in it. Don't know what the relative efficiencies were but the pair sounded better together than the cabinets did by themselves.

Try it out and listen...if it sounds good to you, it is good!!!!

Have fun!!!

6. Yes, and 1 KHz is lame as hell for measuring a bass rig. But... it allows manufacturers to publish bullsh*t sensitivity specs to make themselves look better.

BP magazine should have poked holes in this practice years ago, but they did/do not. The audiophile rags have been brutally measuring and comparing rigs for year. It keeps the manfacturers honest.

Eminence, EV and JBL publish their sensitivity charts, and they are a wealth of information if you take a little time to understand what they are telling you.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks Bruce.

That would suggest that the sensitivity ratings don't mean much and that it would really be best for bassotus to hook them up and give them a test drive...

8. I agree with BillyB. Before you buy a new amp play a few gigs through the rig. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I put a JBL D-140 under my SWR WM 4x10T for the same reason you mentioned. I wanted to raise it so I could hear more mids and highs. It worked very well.

9. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    ..the thing is that my Quattro is a 4ohm/800W cab and my TE head can only put out ~300W@4ohms. My options for adding a Uno 15" cab;
    <ul>
    <li>get a new 8ohm 15" AND a output transformer (by Glockenklang also) to make the Quattro appear as a 8ohms, totalling 4ohms (~150W per cab)</li>
    <li>get a good deal on a used 4ohm 15" and ditch the TE head and buy an EBS Fafner that can handle 2ohms (what, about 300W/cab?)</li>
    <li>get the used 4ohm 15" and a good deal on e.g. Phonic power amp and feed each cab with 450W/700W (depending the Phonic model..) </li>
    </ul>
    The last option is still the cheapest of the three and I would at least then have two cabs with same impedance and wouldn't have to deal with any transformer gadget, but I was just concerned whether the fixed level D.I. output is a good way to feed a power amp?

--
    Mikko