Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mixing and matching j-bass pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Feb 1, 2005.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

anyone ever install two different models/types of jazz bass pickups in their j-bass? i'm thinking of doing this with a dimarzio model j and a dimarzio ultra-j. any thoughts?

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    No thoughts yet. Can you tell me what it is you want to accomplish? Also, where are you planning each pickup? Is there a plan, or do you just have a couple of pickups lyingh around?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've mixed pups on a number of occassions. I've got a bass on the wall right now with an LP soap and Epiphone soap. I've mixed actives and passives. But I run stereo straight out seperate jacks so there's not an issue with incompatibility - actually one exception. I'd guess even through the typical onboard harness actual incompatibility wouldn't be that frequent. What's more likely is the tones won't work together - but that's frequent in matched pairs as well.

Depends on personal taste but in general I prefer a fat bridge pup and thin neck pup cuase I favor the bridge. But a significantly higher output bridge pup will balance volume more uniformly. I'd also guess that an onboard preamp would tend to mitigate incompatibility as they tend to mitigate everything else.

Never actually had those Dimarzio's but it sounds like the J at the bridge and ultra at the neck has promise - unless you like it dark.

4. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i don't like it dark, i'm trying to compensate for the lack of mids in the ultra jazz, and the lack of treble in the model j.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

may work for you then. Positioning won't change the characteristics of the pup but will accent some over others. A bridge pup will become darker, softer, less defined, and louder the further up the necks it's moved - and visa versa. It's earsier to darken a bright pup than brighten a dark pup (just as it is with acoustic properties of a bass).