1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing and Matching: What’s your DIY string set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    The G string on my Fender 9050M set broke a few weeks ago on my Jazz, but I borrowed the G off my almost new Roto 77 set (.45) and on my P bass, it seems to tie everything together nicely, plus it offers a bit of relief from the Fender’s .55 G tension. The Roto’s G, being slightly smaller but in my opinion, having a tighter feel, complements the other 3 Fenders nicely for a bright but still distinctly flatwound vibe on the Precision.

What hybrid string amalgamation do you find to be a winning set?
    BBB36AB4-84DA-4CEC-8258-BE8C6AFDE84A.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Heavy Blue likes this.
  2. My mix-and-matching experiments have been with the low B string on my Yamaha, which is currently wearing GHS Pressuewound L7200 (40-54-76-96) and GHS Progressive 130B. The PWs are 10 mths old, while the PRG 130B is 18 mths old and they're still sounding good as a hybrid 5-string set.

3. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Btw: your ongoing Pressurewound gospel reached my Jazz bass, and after knocking off the initial “zing,” I think I’m sold on them for this particular setup. Beautiful with the neck around 80%, and the bridge around 40-50%. The V-Mod PU’s seem to like the the higher output of the PW’s.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Been use a suxk GHS flat 3025 on my ray4 to tame the brightness, sadly the .096 E just sound like SHxT even more than a month.

I took out the old EB cobalt flat .100 E on my fretless p and replace the GHS E, damn, match the GHS flat A,D,G string tone beautifully.

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Pressurewound/Progressive masher here. On my MM Big Al5. Prog B E, pressurewound the rest. The E in this bass really needs the taper.

michael_t likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021