1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing ashdown abm with mag

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miniroar, Nov 1, 2013.

1. miniroar

miniroar

Oct 24, 2012
    I have an evo 500 head and abm 2 x10 cab but in ireland l cant find a second hand abm 210 or 15 cab to add to for big gigs, theres loads of mag 15s about cheap would tgey sound crappy with the abm gear anyone run them together?

2. jbass62

jbass62

Jan 5, 2010
    Richardson, TX
    I've run an ABM through a MAG 410 cab before. I don't know how "crappy" the sound is but there is definitely a big difference. If you have to use a MAG it will do, but the sound you'll get from the ABM cab is much clearer on the low notes.

3. miniroar

miniroar

Oct 24, 2012
    Cheers just wanted too know if theres a noticable sound quality diffence,im getting away with the one abm cab so il wait til another pops up instead of adding a mag

4. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    I've had a range of both ABM and Mag gear and also noticed a big difference between the 2. The first thing that struck me was how much heavier the ABM gear is (the weight spec's on the ashdown website aren't very accurate IMO). The ABM is so much punchier, with a solid low end. I also have an ABM evo 3 500 with 2x ABM210's. Makes a v versatile rig. I've found 1 x 210 ABM can easily hold its own in small to medium gigs (eg. pubs). I keep the 2nd for larger gigs for vertical 4x10 array

5. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I actually really like the MAG bass cabs for what they are. They're not top shelf by any means but they're very serviceable. If you were to go for a MAG cab you would want to get a 210, as mixing driver sizes with Ashdown gear is unpredictable at best. Then you could stack vertically, with the ABM on top. That would give you good dispersion and allow you to have the better tone at ear level while the woolier, less defined MAG noise would be hanging out around your knees.

It's by no means the best idea, but it also wouldn't be bone stupid either. You'd probably be definably louder and the vertical stack would provide a better monitor for reference.

6. miniroar

miniroar

Oct 24, 2012
    Thanks guys picked up an abm mini 15 300watt cab so gonna vertically stack the 2x10 making a little stack that fits in my car easily, il gig it at the weekend see how it sounds!

7. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    Let me know how that works out for you.

I'll have an ABM 210 combo for sale soon if that interests you. Good to see another Irish TBer!

8. miniroar

miniroar

Oct 24, 2012
    Hey dan not many of us on here!