Mixing Cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chaputa, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

I've read about people having concern w/ different cab efficiences, but what if you have different ohm loads? I'm thinking of running my GS112(8 ohm) w/ an Acme B2(4ohm). I'm running an amp that does 360@8 and 570@4. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?
  2. bassbum81

Jul 18, 2003
    Is the minum ohm rating on your amp 4ohms? if it is you cant run both of these cabs, beacuse you'll break the amp. if the B2 was an 8 ohm cab you could do it, beacuse two 8 ohm cabs are seen by the amp as 4 ohms. if you use an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm it ends up being somewhere around 2.5 or 3 ohms (i duno the exact equation). also, each cab would get a different amount of power, so one would end up being louder than the other.
  3. Chaputa

Well...actually the thought was to run the aggie off one channel(360@8) and the acme off the other(570@4). The cab efficiency is quite different between the two as well... I was just curious how off this would sound, or if anyone had attempted it?
  4. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I run a GS112 and a Low B2 through a QSC PLX 2402 in stereo and it rocks the house. I have 2 GS112's but I only use one because the efficiency of the Acme is so low. I have the ability to adjust the volume to each cab individually so I've never had a problem with one being louder than the other. I also use the eq on the Acme a lot as well. Here's a picture with my old Trace Elliot Pre-Amp, I have an EBS now.
  5. Chaputa

Which ohm cab are you running the acme as? How much of a diff do you have to set the gain on the amp to?

What do you think the diff between one gs112 and the acme vs. two gs112's?

I was kinda thinking of doing either...just curious on your thoughts...
  6. With the power you have available, it shouldn't be a problem to balance the level of the two cabs with your stereo amp.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    What amp are you using? Is it really a stereo amp with two separate channels and not just a mono amp with two speaker connections in parallel? I'm only asking because it is a possibility since you don't say what kind of amp you have.

Running those cabs in parallel will give a 2.6 Ohm total load (nominal) and would not be good for an amp with a 4 Ohm minimum load. Otherwise you would be fine and you would be able to dial in appropriate power to each cab by adjusting the channel volumes.

I have run very different cabs on each channel of a stereo rig and it can sound great. Speaker placement and the ability to run channel-specific EQ if you have a stereo pre makes for a lot of versatility.
  8. Chaputa

I'm actually running a Samson S1000. It isn't 2 ohm stable(in stereo), but it says nothing in its documentation about running the separate channnels at differnt ohm loads. So my guess is that it shouldn't matter about running them differently... My whole thing with getting what I have is to match the GS112 with something that can handle the low end(like a small sub), but given what I've heard about the acme's, I'm just curious as to how these sound togeather. I think that I have enough power to run the acme individually(off one channel), just didn't know how these would work togeather...

Anyone have any issues with running different ohm loads on power amps?
  9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    That shouldn't be any problem. It is a complete non issue with amps that have separate power supplies for each channel. I don't have any firsthand experience with the Samson amp that you mention but it should be fine.