Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mixing cabs? 1x15 and 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by millard, Dec 27, 2004.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    If you do this, what do you like about it?

If you did this and stopped doing it, what did you do instead and what made you change your mind?

It strikes me that if you have multiple outs from your power amp, you could color your sound by varying the volume to the two cabs (a little punchier with the 10s out front, a little more smoothin' and groovin' with the 15). But it also strikes me like the kind of thing the sound guy might kill you for doing so it doesn't end up being practical.

It also strikes me that it could just end up sounding confused, sort of like "sound design by committee".

I mostly work on classic-rock-era stuff and since that covers a pretty wide range of players and styles and rigs, I'm looking for a way to make my rig sound different on different songs.

Thanks...Millard

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's a pretty classic combination. Lots of players use a 4x10 or 2x10 with a 1x15. I've used both of those combo's in the past and still use a 1x15 with a 2x10 at times. Be aware that the sound of a 4x10 varies considerably by manufacturer, as does the sound of a 1x15. You can't alw3ays generalize that tens are "punchy" or fifteens are "deep". In my experience running a 4x10 and 1x15 results in a sound that is more than the sum of its parts. Running both cabinets full range can sound very good as the 4x10 and 1x15 will have different tonal characters. Mixing the two sounds can result in a much "bigger" fuller" sound. Of course, the results will vary depending upon the cabinets used. Using a stereo amp to adjust the balance between the cabinets is always cool. When i have done that i generally just do it to get an equal volume from both cabinets, i don't tweak it constantly to adjust tone. However, i have adjusted the mix slightly for a particular sound in a song or two, but usually a very small adjustment does this.

3. NWF Bassist

NWF Bassist

Aug 1, 2004
    Killakee

I've tried alot of different setups, 1x15 w/ 4x10, 1x15 w/ 2x10, 2x15 alone, 8x10 alone. currently i like 4x10 w/ 4x10, that's how i run.

1x15 has the advantage for the deeper sounds, 10's alone run more mid and high, just figure out how you want your sound to be and it will just come to you.