1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mixing Cabs - Now I Get It

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Aug 15, 2012.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I have a Carvin BX500 and an Epifani PS115. Sounds great.

I recently scored a great deal on a Carvin BRX 10.2 Neo. That cab sounds AMAZING. AMAZING!

I finally got them both in one place and figured I'd see for myself why mixing cabs / speaker size is bad.

Yep. Not a good idea. They DO NOT sound good together. The 15 does not like the same settings as the 10.2. Not at all. They sound much better alone. If I get another cab it will be another 10.2. I thought i was a 15" speaker kinda guy as I had never before had 10" cabs that I liked. Well now I do.

But this works out well as I can leave the 15 at my practice studio and have the 10.2 at home and to travel and gig with.

So - all the TB'ers are right and I'm now with that camp :)

2. +1 on an extremely under-rated cab, too

3. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep. If You wanna know about a steak, You can either stick Your head up a Bull's arse or take a Butcher's word for it.
    However, saddly enough. In most cases (that don't include bass gear choices), I tend to do the former more than the latter.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I totally agree.

My TC Electronics 112 and 210 cabs sounded really good together, but every other mis-match I have tried didn't sound great.

5. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Well this is one of these things that I think you have to experience because mismatched cabs can look right and seem right even if they aren't. But I'm happy to have actually experienced the issue.

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Some mixing of cabinets works just fine. Like most conventional wisdom, "mixing cabs is bad" it isn't always true.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right. But it is a crapshoot.

8. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Yup. I run a 4x12 on top of a 2x15 in my stack, and it sounds awesome! :D

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Gonna have to sig' that one for a little while.:D

10. try running them off an an amp that you can run in bi-amp mode. send the hi's to the 2 10 and the lows to the 15. I bet they sound great that way.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Except that all production 210 cabs are full range cabs rather than dedicated mid/high boxes. :crying:And unless that 15 is a dedicated Sub...:crying:

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't know if it qualifies as that yet. The conventional wisdom for 20+ years was "get a 15 and stick a 410 on top."

13. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

I never knew until I tried it myself - it was quite an eye-opener.

14. It's from Tommy Boy man...

"try running them off an an amp that you can run in bi-amp mode. send the hi's to the 2 10 and the lows to the 15. I bet they sound great that way."

Much less total volume, like, half.

15. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I got a 410 on top of a 115.........but I am most assuredly not "conventional"!

16. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    I finally managed to get my head running through two 4x10's instead of the 1x18/4x10 setup I had been using and I gotta say... now I'm converted too. I guess it's the acoustic coupling? Whatever it is the 2 4x10's clearly sound better.

17. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've run mixed cabs in the past with great success. While there is a kernel of truth in the whole don't mix cabs thing, this is just the latest TB amps forum fad.

Best cab setup I've ever heard was EA cxl-112 and EA nl-210. Did they sound the same? Nope. That was the point. Each of them reinforced the others weaknesses (of which there were little) with their strengths (of which there were many).

18. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    A Carvin BRX 10.2 and an Epifani PS115 do not sound good together. This much I know :)

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Funny...those of us who believe in matching cabs think the whole mixing cabs thing is the actual fad ;)