Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mixing cd and live bass through headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by skidog, Oct 15, 2002.

1. I want to play my bass along with a CD. I can't do this in my apartment without headphones.
    I tried running a cord from the headphone outlet of the CD player, and a cord from the headphone outlet of my bassman 25 into a mixer and then plugging the headphones into the outlet jack of the mixer, but no go. Any suggestions?
    Later; skidog.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I use my Korg Toneworks Pandora - it also has the ability to eliminate the bass, slow down the recording, and transpose the key.

Nifty lil' gadget.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Use the line out of the Bassman and the line out of the CD player.

The headphone outs can give you impedance and/or volume mismatches.
    This setup should work, check levels and cables if it doesn't.

[EDIT]

Do you plug your headphones in the headphone out of the mixer or the line out?

Line out probably won't work. If there's no headphone out, connect the mixer line out with your stereo and plug your headphones in there.

4. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I do all my practising through headphones and use a Pandora PX3-B as the headphone amplifier.

I've also got a small mixer which I use to be able to balance out the volume and can also pan left-right for all those play-alongs CD's with bass in one channel. The mixer that I use is a small 2 channel disco mixer that I bought (on clearance sale) from Musicians Friend for $30 but any would do.

I take a lead from the line out of the CD player to one channel of the mixer and then into the Pandora. I plug my bass and headphones into the Pandora.

I've got this all set up on a small shelf that mounts beneath my music stand and is all fed from a couple of 9v power supplies. This all works pretty well for me, I can also plug a metronome into the mixer if I wish, so hear that through the headphones as well.

Regards,
    Andy

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    You could run a couple of stereo cables from the headphone outs on your amp and cd player into a stereo Y-adapter to your headphones.

6. There is no "headphones out" jack on the small mixer I have. I'll try the three suggestions given, (or was it four?).
    Appreciate the help! Thanx!
    Later; skidog.

7. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Can you not feed your bass and the line out from your CD player into your mixer and then take the line out from the mixer into the bassman bass input (use the active input if it's got one) ?

You can then use the headphone socket of the bassman.

Just a suggestion -

Cheers,
    Andy