Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing different ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have an Eden WT 550 and three cabinets. A 4 ohm Avatar SB 12, an Aguilar GS 112 (8 ohm) and a Bergantino EX 112 (8 ohm). Can I safely use all three cabinets without harming the amp?

2. That would be a 2 Ohm load from those cabs. Whats the minimum ohm load your head can handle?

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    It goes down to 2 ohms. Would this put too much strain on the amp?

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    eh... some people dont like running at 2ohms... technically it is more abusive for the amp. But... some amps dont even run at 2ohms at all. Dont forget your using a top-of-the-line brand, in Eden. If it says it operates at 2ohms, it'll do the job, but it will run a little hotter.

You could always just run at 4ohms on a standard basis... and throw the Avatar on board if you ever needed the extra power.

I think it'd be best if someone that uses Eden (or has experience running power amps at 2ohms) put in some input.

5. From a technical standpoint you can run your three cabs together without a problem. I don't have experience with your rig but I wouldn't be worried about trying it out.

The fact that your individual cabs have different loads doesn't matter. It is the combined load that the amp will see.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it should be fine and dandy
    worse thing is you might notice a difference in volume between the cabinets, but that happens with cabinets of differing efficiencies as well so don't sweat it
    i'm personally quite jealous as i have a wt-400 that can anly handle 4 ohms min - that's one of the reasons i went the preamp/poweramp route :crying:

7. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    the WT550 is 550 at 2ohm right?

if that is the case the 8ohm cabs will get 137.5w max and the 4 ohm will get 275w max. The 8 ohm cabs, being double the impedance see half the power as the 4 ohm cab.

8. would using 3 cabs instead of 2 really make that much of an audiable difference?

9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I played an outdoor gig last month with only the Berg and Aguilar and it just wasn't loud enough. I'm hoping that the extra cab helps because I'll be outside again..

10. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, but I wanted to try and see if I understand all the implications correctly. This is what I think will happen...

Your amp will put out higher wattage at 2 ohms than it did at 4 ohms but that power won't be evenly distributed across the three cabs because they have different impedences. The 4 ohm cab will receive half the power and the two 8 ohm cabs will receive the remaining half, or 1/4 each. Depending on the efficiency of the different cabs, that will create an imbalance in the volume from each cab. You'll also have to check if the Avatar can handle up to half of the Eden's output at 2 ohms. Clipping can be bad but sending too much energy into the cabinet can create a lot of heat that might also damage the speaker.

Hopefully someone that knows better can confirm.