1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mixing drivers in a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlwarriner, May 4, 2006.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    so i'm looking to reload a 4x12 bass cab, and was wondering how well it would work (comparatively) to use one of the following setups:

1. 4 Eminence Delta 12LF drivers
    2. 4 Eminence Deltalite Neo 12 drivers
    3. 2 each of the Deltas and the Deltalites

I know, there are more factors at play here, but I am mostly concerned with performance differences between the three options...

Please and thanks!

2. The deltas by themselves would probably sound deeper and have a higher power rating than a quad of neo's. If you mixed them it would probably sound like a combination of the two, but with a lower power rating. Only your ears will know what setup you like.

3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    yeah, i have to agree, that you'll have to hear it to know whether you'd like it or not. guitar players have been mixing speakers forever though. i've seen MANY 2x12 cabinets that have an old alnico speaker (for warmth) mounted right next to a modern speaker for the power and edginess they offer... just a thought

4. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

funny you should reply to this thread, as it's your cabinet i'm talking about :D:D

5. I would be a little afraid to mix the drivers unless the cab itself was divided. Bass drivers move to much air to safely mix them in the same enclosed space: ie if one driver has a good bit more excursion it will displace more air than one with less excursion and in turn the cab will not be efficient and will not sound good and may damage the drivers. With the Eminence Drivers they may be well matched and may work in the way you are inquiring. I would check with their tech support, I have had good luck in dealing with them in the past. Most guitar cabs are open back and they do not move near as much air as a bass cab, thus you don't run the chance of driver damage.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Correct. Without separate chambers tuned for the driver models within each the result would be quite horrible.

7. Four Delta 12LF require 10 to 16 cubic feet internal cabinet volume for correct tuning.

If the box is smaller (likely), you will get a fat hump in the mid-bass (80 ~ 120 Hz) and then a steep rolloff below that.

8. Watch out saying "fat hump" around Matt.:ninja:

On a serious note. What are the dimensions of the box? It looks small with the angled section...the Deltas might not like that small of a box...
    C7

9. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

:mad: beats josh to a bloody pulp :mad:

rob said it's about 24x24x30, give or take. outside dims. dunno how much is lopped of for the angled section, material thickness, etc.

10. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    matt... didn't even realize that it was you who started the thread :-D i was just reading along

haha i'll keep my thoughts to myself then so as to not influence you one way or the other.