Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing head and cab brands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I have a question pertaining to combining heads and cabs of different makes. Specifically, I have my eye on an Eden 410XLT and/or a SWR Goliath III, and either an SWR 4004 Workingman's Head, a SWR 500X Head, or an Eden WT-400. I was wondering if anyone had either reassurances or horror stories about the consequences of using a rig made up of components of multiple brands, or about the individual products themselves. I know about impedance matching and things of that nature; I'm more concerned about certain cabs not being able to handle the output of certain heads. Any advice from more experienced comrades would be much appreciated.

2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yo man, um, are you just asking about mixing brands, or mixing more powerful heads with less- cabs?
    Anyway, a few months ago I was told that cabs and heads are made up to be setup with one another... So anything goes I guess... I wouldn't mix more powerful heads with -less- cabs though, maybe...
    ||_-soto-_||

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    just make sure you have enough wattage room on your cabs to handle the bass. I have had very good results mixing brands. I like really clean sounding heads, so I got a GK. Then I like nice warm cabs, so I got an eden. I got a fender 15 for free, and it sounds tight. It's wattage is low, but I like the effect of pushing it a bit. Compresses the real low end and makes it hit a bit harder. But that's just my personal opinion. Mixing amps and cabs work great. Just try everything and find what you like best.

4. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Hey Hollow, good question. All of my stuff has always been mix-bred. The only prob that I've noticed is that (with my stuff) the connectors never seem to match up easily. EX: Ampeg head w/2-1/4 plugs for bi-amp out, while my cab is looking for a speakon.

I could make a cable like that if I wasn't so lazy. So, instead, I have to turn my tweets almost all of the way off to keep from blowing them in full range.

Other than the bi-amp thing, most mix and match stuff seems to work really well together. IMO

I've never owned a matched rig. Too much scratch, at one time, to come up with.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Mickey, thanks for the encouragement and advice; I'll be sure to check on jack inputs. If I'm not mistaken, both of the cabs I'm looking into (SWR Goliath III and Eden 410XLT) are rated at 700W, and of the three heads that I'm considering, the highest output is 500W at 4 ohms, so I should be okay on not overdriving the cabs, unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible, if not probable). Please continue to advise; additional information never hurt. Thanks. :D