1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing Hifi Speakers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Electricblue, May 17, 2012.

1. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    Hi guys, just a quick question.

I have a pair of these speakers for hifi use: Pioneer S-Z92

[​IMG]

I want to add another pair of identical speakers but there are none anywhere... Will this pair be ok? I mean, it's technically the same apart from the midrange speakers not being there... :D

Pioneer S-Z91

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Opinions will certainly vary and there are certainly scientific and engineering reasons why not to mix speaker types, but sometimes mixing 2 way and 3 way speakers can deliver pleasing results. There can be unpleasant phasing issues especially if the crossover points don't mesh.

Bottom line if is sounds good and works in your space then fine but there can certainly be concerns.

3. Hi.

To what end?

If it's just for **** & giggles, it'll work, but it'll also effectively take any Hi- out of the Fi that there may be out of the equation.

If it's just the added spl from more speakers, that may or may not happen, depending on the rest of the system.

In any case, You'll need separate amps for every cab, running Hi-Fi cabs in series or parallel is a bad idea.

Regards
    Sam