1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mixing impedance in one cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justBrian, Jan 8, 2012.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    OK, I've got an older 8 ohm Eden CX1015. It originally had a coax 10, and a 15. The coax was replaced with an Eminence Beta 10.

I have a spare 8 ohm Eden XLT lying around. I think that would make the impedance 5.33333 ohms. What would the advantages be of swapping it for the Eminence?

Oh, I'm running a WT400 into it.

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    The WT400 puts 400 watts into a 4 ohm load. If the load is 5.3 ohms, what will each speaker be getting?

I guess I want to know if it would be more efficient to just run it as an 8 ohm cab, rather than mixing and matching it like that.

:cool:

3. I'd verify that your head would be ok running at 5.3 ohms before making the swap. I would leave the cab 8 ohms anyways though, as it'll be easier to add cabs later on.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    How do you know it's an 8 ohm cab? Assuming there's no crossover it would have to be loaded with 16 ohm drivers for that to be the case.

See above.
    Probably none.

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I pulled both drivers and they are 16 ohm. The coax crossover has been bypassed.

So, it really won't change anything then, as far as loudness--or if it does it will be minimal.

Think I'll just put the Eminence back in then, and call it good.

Thanks!