Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing in compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Samurai, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    I just ordered the ME-50B, and going off the assumption that you can have a separate compression setting for every patch, I was wondering what effects sound good with different compression settings.

2. DeeZee

DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    Virginia
    Yes you can definately set up a different compressor, compressor settings, or No compressor on each patch. I am not sure if this is the answer that will really help but I am finding that I use one of the five compressors on every patch that I set up. My current weapon of choice is a Fender p-bass and compression just really helps out this type of bass. With some compression I've got all the thump that a p-bass can give out and yet it will sustain a note literly forever if I turn my body & bass around and grab some vibrations off the speaker cabinet. Even if I don't do the "turn around into the speaker trick", the notes sustain very strongly for as long as I need them to mostly. The compression's overall effect also hides the noticable dead area on my bass which is on the C# note (A string and G string). By bringing the overall perceived loudness of the bass up and regulating this, the thuddier C# just rings out like the rest of notes. With rotosound strings and bright EQ settings I am always leaning towards a trebly, and slightly overdriven and edgy tone and the compression really helps to even out this wildness. The cool high tech bass yielding guys & gals may not find compression so necessary with their rigs especially if they are tweaking up a more refined, less edgy, and prettier tone like what I use to do with my btb405. With that bass I never considered needing much compression if any. Now that I got that "compression can be the most useful effect reguardless of the other effects" out of the way I will try to focus a little closer on the original question. I found that the "D-Comp" compression which models the MXR DynaComp pedal really seems to work with the "metal" drive settings. With my Ampeg V4BH tube head, the "Natural" and "1600 Soft" compression settings work best with my cleaner tones. A few times for whatever reason (accoustics, bad finger day, ?) I found that the "1600 Hard" seemed to do the job better. I am not much of a slapper but I messed around with the "Limiter" compression setting and it seems like it would work with the slapping thing. Sorry I don't really have any specific compression settings geared towards some other specific effects. There isn't much to adjust with the compressors,....really its only 1 knob which controls the threshold/sustain. The other "level" knob for me really is just to set the volume level of the compression section so that whether compression is on or off, the volume level coming from that section remains the same. In fact, setting that final volume or "E. Level" (effect level) is a good thing to do at each section so that you don't continue to keep getting volume boosts and assiciated noise increases from section to section in less that is your intention. None of the "DELAY/MODULATION" and Compressor effects are extreme in my opinion and so I really havn't (as of yet) found a compression setting that makes one of the other effects morph into this new breed of never before heard freak of nature. Everything just seems to stay in the musical relm with this multi-effects unit which works for me,......There are some extreme tone monsters however in the "filter" section and especially in the "drive" section and a compressor used with these guys really seems to reinforce their effect that they have on the overall tone. This idea is like what I was stating earlier with the "D-Comp" working well with the "Metal" Drive settings,......There is a lot on the pedal I havn't experimented with yet and hopefully others will have some cool ideas that I havn't thought of. In the meantime just start experimenting. Hope this helps a bit,....have fun!

3. With the ME-50B, depending on what TYPE of compressor/limiter, filter/tone, drive/synth or delay/modulation you are using, the other knobs do various things. For example:

When you use the NATURAL through 1600 HARD compressors, as you turn the THRESHOLD/SUSTAIN control counter clockwise you will hear more of the effect, or rather it squashes you're sound more. But when you use the D-COMP, as you turn the THRESHOLD/SUSTAIN control clockwise you hear more of the effect, or rather it sustains your sound more.

The owners manual explains things plainly and simply and after a couple of days of messing around with the unit with the manual in my hands, I understood everything (... except cooking and women) :)

I generally use the NATURAL compressor with THRESHOLD/sustain @ 3 o'clock and LEVEL @ 12 o'clock for just a bit of leveling. I'll switch to the D-COMP with threshold/SUSTAIN @ 12 o'clock and LEVEL at 12 o'clock when using any of the DRIVE/SYNTH effects.

Hope that helps.

4. ariaprovinch

ariaprovinch

Sep 20, 2008
    That all helped me!

Thanks