1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIXING OHMS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leeothelyon, Apr 18, 2006.

1. leeothelyon

leeothelyon

Apr 4, 2006
    SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN THRASHED BUT AS A FAIRLY NEW MEMBER IM HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME.
    i KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE MIXING OF SPEAKER CABS AND HAVE RECENTLY GOT A TWO BY TEN PEAVEY 175 WATT SPEAKER CAB
    MY AMP IS A PEAVEY NITRO AND PUTS OUT 450 AT 2 ..300 AT 4 AND 170 AT 8 OHMS.
    CAN I LINK THE 2X10 4 0HMS
    WITH THE 1X15 8 OHMS IN PARRELEL WITHOUT DAMAGING ANY SPEAKERS PLEASE:bassist:

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Please turn off your caps lock.

Check the FAQ thread at the top of this forum. Don't think I'm being salty by not answering your question; the FAQ thread was designed to specifically address these sorts of questions because it becomes very tiresome saying the same thing over and over again. In the future, try doing a search if you have a question and you'll probably get the answers you need. If you don't, then feel free to post.

It becomes very irritating when you see redundant posts clogging up the forum, as you'll see for yourself the more you hang around TB.

Take Care,

3. +1 Will
    Welcome to TB!

to answer your question quickly... Yes, you can indeed use both these cabs together - a 4 ohm + 8 ohm in paralell 2.67 ohm. Set your amp to the 2ohm position if it has a switch and pound away. You'll be safe, so no worries.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Keep in mind that with the 4 and 8 ohm cabs in parallel, the 4 ohm cab will be getting 2/3 of the total power and the 8 ohm cab will be getting the remaining 1/3 of the total power from your amp. The volume balance between the two cabs may not be very good, but then again it may be fine.

5. leeothelyon

leeothelyon

Apr 4, 2006
    Sounds like it might be safe my amp has dot speaker protection and i will be using low volumes its just the electrical side of it that throws me does anyone no of a reference site for this info on the web to save me wasting valuable members time thanks zombywoof 5050 and microbass for your help there is no switch to contol the ohms .So how it recognises the ohms i couldnt tell you.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its an SS amp that goes down to 2 Ohms, a 4 and 8 Ohm cab makes 2.6 Ohms. You would be fine.